LegalNinja
LegalNinja, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
103518254

I think my landlord is going to produce a section 8 with 14

I think my landlord is going to produce a section 8 with 14 days notice to leave, I'm so worried! can you help?
Assistant: What state is the property located in? And has anyone consulted a local attorney about this?
Customer: I've lived here for 5 years, I've done multitude of home improvements, it's in 5 star condition
Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: there as been in the past but not now. The reason they are doing this is for rent arears
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was in financial difficulty due to my Mum dying, my dog dyed and my car blew up! even though I've paid my rent every month for the past year, I've made an offer of payment but they are going to produce a section 8 what's happens after I receive a section 8 do I really have to move in 14 days after?

Thank you for your query.

There are a number of grounds which a Landlord can rely on under section 8. Depending on the ground, the length of notice can range from 2 weeks to 2 months. For rent arrears, the notice period is 2 weeks (14 days).

You won't have to leave your home straightaway. If your section 8 notice is valid, your landlord will need to go to court to evict you.

You might be able to challenge your eviction. If you have a good reason why you shouldn't leave your home as you have described above, you can defend the notice which is called 'defending possession'.

Is there anything else I can clarify for you?

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
I have done some research, they can fast track and go to high court. I'm worried of bailiffs just showing up.

This can only happen once a possession order is granted. You have not reached that stage yet so there is nothing to worry about.

Would you like some helpful information online about this?

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
I understand bailiffs have to give written notice, but do they have to send a letter by recorded or signed for delivery?

No, the Notice will be sent by the Court usually by normal post.

Does this help?

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
what happens if it gets lost or I do not receive it?

The notice is still deemed served but you may then make an application to Court to suspend the Warrant on this basis.

Will that be all today?

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
wouldn't that be to late if the bailiff is there at your home? I say this because it's happened to me before but for a totally different reason, I was waiting for a court hearing but just received a bailiff in my kitchen instead.
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
are you still there?

You can make an emergency application to Court. I hear what you are saying but you will need a Court Order to suspend any Warrant or action.

You should stay in regular contact with the Court if you feel that something may be lost in the post.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
OK I think I have enough info for now, thank you
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
could I have the helpful information also please

Sure, here you go:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/renting-privately/during-your-tenancy/check-your-section-8-notice/

It's a pleasure.

I would be grateful for a 5 star rating at the top of your screen for my time. It is important to leave a rating as is how Experts are are credited for their time. All the best. -LN