LegalNinja
LegalNinja, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
103518254

Within a joint tenancy, if one of the tenants decides not to

Within a joint tenancy, if one of the tenants decides not to pay rent, what is the best way to go about it? Cover his share of the rent in the meantime not to fall in arrears and possibly sue if they refuse to pay?

Do you still require assistance with this?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Yes please.

If you have a joint tenancy, you and the other tenants have exactly the same rights. You are all jointly and individually responsible for the terms and conditions of the tenancy agreement.

If you have a joint tenancy, you are liable for the rent both jointly and individually. This means that one or all of you can be held responsible for the whole rent.

Yes, you can then pursue this from the other tenant(s) after.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Yes thank you.

It's a pleasure.

I would be grateful for a 5 star rating at the top of your screen for my time. It is important to leave a rating as is how Experts are are credited for their time.

All the best.

-LN