LegalNinja
LegalNinja, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
103518254

An ex term partner has contacted me via a collection agency

An ex long term partner has contacted me via a collection agency claiming I have a £33k debt payable to him; as I have no debt or arrangement to pay with my ex partner I am uncertain of what to do next. So far I have not replied to the demand made by text, letter, voicemail, mobile and landline phone. I feel anxious and harassed. My ex partner was abusive and controlling that is why I left the relationship. He is asking me to return gifts and money; he has also reneged on promises to me of s financial nature which have caused me extreme hardship, as I took on debt with his assurances to pay on my behalf. Please advise the best way to deal with the situation. Thank you.
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: I've not taken any action and I am not sure what paperwork I would likely file?
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: I have consulted a lawyer but I am not in a position to pay legal fees.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

I will be assisting you.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hello thank you.

Firstly, it is important to note that debt collectors do not have any special legal powers to collect a debt. A debt collector simply works on behalf of a creditor. All they can do is simply ask you to pay the debt.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Please call me again as I had call block on.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Have you tried to call me yet?

Can you hear me on the other end?

I cannot hear you at all.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Sorry my phone didn't ring.

Ok, I shall try one more time. Are you ready now?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I've put your number into the phone so ok.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/discrimination/taking-action-about-discrimination/taking-action-about-harassment/

Customer: replied 1 hour ago.
Have you tried calling?
Customer: replied 1 hour ago.
Hello, I can see you have tried to contact me. Please try again. Thank you Margaret
Customer: replied 1 hour ago.
Can you please let me know what number you're calling from so I can answer?. Thank you

Your query has been posted in another chat. Please see my response in that thread.

Customer: replied 1 hour ago.
Where is the thread? Will you be calling me today?