UK Solicitor John
UK Solicitor John, Solicitor
Experience:  8 years legal experience
106125879

I have a law-related question. Someone owed me some money

I have a law-related question. Someone owed me some money and I have been chasing it for almost 2 years and then at the end, we fall out and there was an exchange of verbal abuse from both sides. She reported that to police and police called me for an interview. I have gone to the police station and answered their question. They said I might be charged with a harassment case. I told them it was from both side she abused me as well and tried to spit on me.
What can I do against her or what shall I do for the counterclaim for abusive language and harassment. She is also involved in fraud as well. How do I protect myself against this allegation? I have agreed in front of the police that I used teh F word but she used that as well.

Hello, welcome to Just Answer. I am a qualified solicitor happy to assist you today.

Please note this is not a chat service, so there may be delays in responding.

I am just reviewing your question and will provide a response shortly which will be later on today

Harassment is when behaviour causes distress or alarm and must have happened on more than one occasion. It cannot be brought on just the basis that you have had an argument with someone. Using the F word will not amount to harassment.

At present it is just an allegation? Therefore for a case to be brought she will need to evidence that this abuse has happened on numerous occasions. If she were to do this, then you will have the opportunity to defend yourself and put forward your allegations and evidence. If it gets that far, you will need to instruct a solicitor to assist you.

If you do wish to claim your money back, the best thing to do is to issue a claim against this person in the small claims court, you can do this yourself without the need for a lawyer by visiting the money claims online website. The link is here https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

I hope I have assisted you today. Please leave a rating by clicking the stars above, kind regards, John.