JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I need help starting the process of claiming for a vehicle I

I need help starting the process of claiming for a vehicle I was using under a third party cover clause of my own fully comp insurance.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Informed my insurers who have written to me saying the issue is closed, rang the third party insurers who say they are not the third party insurer, phoned the police again who confirmed that they are, and had a consultation with a legal firm who are Rta specialists. They say they can only help me with my injury claim and the vehicle damage will have to go through my or my friend's insurance
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was driving a vehicle belonging to a friend, which is beyond repair, I was towing my own boat and trailer that was destroyed, I had a thousand pounds worth of tools in the pickup that were lost. The third party drove into me at high speed on the motorway. He is being prosecuted for driving without due care and attention. I am not being investigated in any way. There are removal and storage charges for the boat and vehicle and my friend needs to hire a car

Hello, this is Jim and I am a dual-qualified lawyer (UK and Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you today.

What sort of losses have you incurred so far?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I am liable for the replacement of my friend's 4x4 pickup with a farmer's truckman top (around8k) which is a total wreck, my trailer (£1200) is a twisted wreck, my boat (£800) is scrap. Both needed recovery and storage (£600 so far, my tools (£2000) are gone and my friend wants to hire another vehicle whilst he finds a replacement. I have whiplash injuries but the lawyer I have spoken to seems only interested in these. However I want my solicitor to sue the third party insurer for the vehicles tools and injury. Am I being unreasonable?

A decent law firm should include these losses with the injury claim. I can recommend a few firms that you can approach - you should not settle one claim without the other. You are not being unreasonable at all - any law firm who is only interested in one head of claim (injuries) is not worth speaking to in my view.

Would you like the recommendations?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Yes please that would be great. It's just disappointing that a national firm was so unhelpful. My friend does not want to claim through his insurance and I completely get that.

No problem, some firms are not interested as they are only concerned about the fees they can expect but your claim is taken as a whole and you should approach any of these :
1. Irwin Mitchell Solicitors (http://www.irwinmitchell.com)

2. Slater & Gordon Lawyers (http://www.slatergordon.co.uk) - was this the one you approached?

3. Serious Law LLP (http://www.seriousinjurylaw.co.uk)

4. CFG Law (http://www.cfglaw.co.uk)

Let me know if you have any questions - I can help with any aspect of the injury claim.

I hope this helps – if you can please rate the answer by clicking the 5 stars (the top of your screen & then click “submit”), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and I will be credited for helping you today.

Many thanks,

Jim

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The solicitors that weren't interested in my vehicle claim is the number 1 solicitor on your list! I'll give them a call back tomorrow and restate that I want the vehicle claim handling as well, and possibly give them another chance.

OK, try the others anyway - I am 99% sure one of the others will be able to help.