How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 5438
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

I wish to stop working with my solicitor that is dealing

This answer was rated:

I wish to stop working with my solicitor that is dealing with probate
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: england
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have mentioend that i am unhappy a number of times and also asked for the case files and there was a threat to stop the process - so I have left it and now that we have the letters of administration I do not want her to be dealing with the situation
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope thats all
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The situation is that we have been working with the solicitor for 18 months to try and get letters of administration - she has lied, she has not paid things, she has threatened to stop the process. Now we have been granted the letters I do not want her dealing with the administrtion of the etate as she has already made some errors and it has only been a week - so without her having anything to hold over us what can we say to her to get her off the situation and not do ourselves any damage - also if there is a 'typical' statement that would show that I have sort legal advice when terminating thing it might make her think twice before the usual tirade. I would like to get the case files as I only have part awareness of the estate at present. There is no rush as we still have to place a notice in gazette (which I have asked time and time again) and then closing the account.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She is not an executor, she has never supplied us with a welcome pack and we have not received any signed contract - which makes me very nervous, she has stated her fee and I noticed that was already taken.

Hi thank you for your message, if are intending to switch to another probate solicitor this should should be a fairly quick process in essence, you can instruct new solicitors and they can arrange with the old solicitor for the transfer of the file. You should contact her and inform her you will be changing solicitor and therefore she should stop working on the file and send her final bill. If you wish to take your complaint about her service further you can complain to the legal ombudsman here: I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Jeremy Aldermartin and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am more than capable of dealing with the administration of the estate - I just don't want to have to deal with this person any loner she has made things very difficult. I can I just say to her that I no longer wish her to be dealing with the estate and I we wish to have the case file? Is she going to make things difficult?

Hi thank you for your message, yes you can just do that and request the file. She should not make things difficult but if she does behave unprofessionally report it to the legal ombudsman and you could also consider a complaint to the SRA the regulator for solicitors.