UK Solicitor John
UK Solicitor John, Solicitor
Experience:  8 years legal experience
106125879

Me and my wife has rented an apartment in London starting

Me and my wife has rented an apartment in London starting February 2019, its a flat on the 4th floor. during the viewing the elevator was working, we accepted the rent fee and moved in.
approximately one month later the elevator has stopped working and has been told that the whole elevator needs replacing.
Which meant that for more than 7 months now we have no functional elevator and there wont be any working elevator any time soon.
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i have contacted the letting agent
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We have formally requested a reduction in rent to compensate for that issue. but it has been refused.
we feel that we are over paying for a 4th floor apartment that has no elevator access.
can we end the contract without losing our deposit? or are we entitled to a reduction of rent fees?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We have formally requested a reduction in rent to compensate for that issue. but it has been refused.

Hello welcome to the site.

I can appreciate the frustration of that, but unfortunately this will not have any bearing on the rent itself. Unless it is a clause within the tenancy agreement, the matter will be seen as an unforeseen circumstance, and not one which directly relates to a breach of contract. As a result , a rent reduction would not be seen as a reasonable request as only a breach of contract would enable you to do so.

I hope I have assisted you today. Let me know if I can clarify anything for you and please leave a positive rating by clicking the stars above. Kind regards, John.