UK Solicitor John
UK Solicitor John, Solicitor
Experience:  8 years legal experience
106125879

I had a minor accident today. I think it was 50/50. I have

I had a minor accident today. I think it was 50/50. I have drawn a detailed sketch. I'd like to get an opinion about whose fault it was. I would rather not contact the insurance company.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: N3 in London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: The other person was a friend/acquaintance. I said we were both responsible but that I would pay costs if they were minimal.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello welcome to the site. My name is John and I’ll be assisting you today.

Was anybody injured in this accident? Please provide the sketch so I can give you my advice on who is liable.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No one injured. Me in red and other parent in green were dropping our kids off to get on bus in blue. I parked behind bus, kids got out and then I looked behind me and then reversed to go past bus and leave. Other parent in the meantime had turned right as in sketch. We collided.

Did the other parent collide into you i.e. did the front driver side of their vehicle collide into the side of your vehicle?

Or

Did the driver side corner of your vehicle collide into their vehicle while you were reversing?

The sketch provides suggests they were passing your vehicle when you reversed into them? And not them colliding into the side of you? Do you have any images of the damage to the cars at all?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The right door of the green vehicle collided with the rear right corner of my yellow vehicle as I was reversing

Thank you. Based on that I would say you would be more at fault on the basis that the other vehicle was already established in their manoeuvre and passing your vehicle when you reversed into their vehicle. It would be different if, they negligently turned into your vehicle and the impact would be more to the front of their vehicle.

A reversing party has more of a duty of care to ensure their path behind is clear before proceeding.

However, it can still be argued as a 50/50 because it can be said that the other party saw you reverse and still chose to proceed instead of letting you finish. 50/50 would be the most favourable outcome for you, but based on experience you as the reversing party, especially given the positions of the vehicles would be more likely to be held at fault.