12826847

Second opinion] I signed a contract which was negotiated

Customer Question

second opinion] I signed a contract which was negotiated between me and the lettings agent Sharon who acted on behalf of Whitegates Estate Agency Limited who represents the landlord who is the defendant in the claim I raised with small claims court, based on a term which is fundamental to this contract.By the absence of this term which was agreed on in the negotiations I would have not proceeded with the contract and looked elsewhere for accommodation.The terms which were agreed on via the e-mail negotiations:1. Presence of a mixer tap. This may sound unimportant and silly but I am an international student and back where I am from (Qatar), I have gotten used to using mixer taps growing up and culturally this is the norm for me and many others who live in my country. Previously in the past, when I first arrived in the UK, I moved into a studio which had a separate cold and water tap, I lived there for 6 months, and this was in Leeds. During that period I became sensitive to both really cold or really hot water due to my sensitive skin. Hence why I left that studio. The presence of this term is a deal breaker as explained in the email negotiations with the letting agent Sharon. There was no mixer tap present in the bathroom.2. The presence of a mini fridge in my room. Even though I have not made this a priority as I could have bought my own mini fridge, I was told that there would be one present in my room, and this also influenced my decision to go ahead with the contract and pay the upfront 5 months rent + deposit. The reality of the matter is, there wasn’t a mini fridge present in the room when I entered to inspect it.3. When I asked for pictures of the room during negotiations, I was told the only ones available are the ones on the advertisement on rightmove.com. The pictures of the room on rightmove included the same furniture but the room was smaller, with a different layout, different flooring, in addition to it being unclean. This was different from what was portrayed to me in the photos on that advertisement. The same applies to the bathroom too.Even though I signed the contract after viewing the inventory, it was purely due to the undue influence which I felt in that office. I am an international student who has lived in the UK since 2017 and due to depression and some personal circumstances I was not able to make any friends besides university acquaintances, neither did I have any family members or knew anyone who would let me stay with them if I needed a place to crash at. When I had negotiated the agreement with the letting agency I was abroad. They were aware I would be arriving in the UK with no where to stay, and I had informed them that I would directly visit the office after I arrive, to pick up the keys for my room. After I arrived at the office I was told to sign some papers, at the time I was confused as I thought I had already signed a contract when I was abroad. No one explained to me that the contract would be signed in the office. If I had known I would have taken a different way. After reviewing the inventory page, I noticed there was no mixer tap and I got nervous and began to question Sharon why that wasn’t the case. I was not given a reasonable explanation or a solution. The explanation to that was that the agent thought I meant the shower head is what needed to have mixed water. I was clearly precise with what part of the bathroom would need a mixer tap in our negotiations. I was told to either take it or leave it as response. I asked for some time out. I left my luggage in the office and went to look for the nearest letting agency in panic, and I consulted with one agency but was told there would be nothing for me to move into the same day. I was scared I wouldn’t have a place to stay at. I was not able to afford a hotel until I find another apartment, which would take a long time. So I tried to look for solutions online to remedy the tap issue myself and found a piece of attachment that could be attached to mix the water and went back into the office and asked the agent if this could be used on the taps to mix the water. The agent did not bother to inquire whether this would fit into the sink and told me that it should work and made it sound like it isn’t as serious as it was for me. I felt being pushed to sign those papers. When I went to see the apartment, I realised that that wasn’t the case and the taps were so old and nothing could be done to mix the water. I felt like I was put in this contract in a way I could have avoided if I was only told the truth or if the agent thoroughly explained everything without being vague from the beginning.Please advise me on this
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 6 months ago.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 5 months ago.

Hello. I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and will be able to resolve your legal problem today.

Regarding the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call, I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the offer.

However, if you do not want a phone call, please cancel the offer for a Premium Service Phone Call and you will not be charged extra.

To enable me to answer your query, please provide me with some further information about your legal issue and how you want a lawyer to help you.

Are you trying to get out of your tenancy agreement with your landlord for misrepresentation of the property and claim back rent you have paid?

Do you still need expert assistance in this matter?

Please provide me with the further information I have requested in order that I may answer your question.