frantzgregory
frantzgregory,
80411141

I have an issue with the r.a.c. at moment wondered if you

Customer Question

Hi I have an issue with the r.a.c. at moment wondered if you can help me out with it ..I live in hull and on the 07/12/2019 I had a recent breakdown in Cambridge. I called the rac to come help me this was at 11 am wen I called they said they would come out to me within 90 mins. I waited for 2 hours then they called me back and said they were busy and I would be waiting a while longer I said ok they eventually turned up at 4 pm (5 hours later). I wasnt very happy with it but let the mechanic take a look. After inspecting my car he told me the alternater had failed and wasnt returning any charge to the battery so he couldn't fix it so I said what happens now do you recover my car and drive us home (which is what I thought would happen ) as there policy is to try and fix the vehicle at the roadside or if not to recover my car and take us home safely),but after he called his office he was told to give me 2 new batteries cos it was cheaper than a truck to take me home the 170 miles back to hull. I said how far would I get home on 1 battery he said about half way home I said what do I do then . He then gave me a spanner and said you will have to change the battery and put a second battery on the car. I thought he was joking I then asked him how far would I get on 1 battery his reply was around 70 miles and I asked what warning will I get that the 1st battery was going to go flat he said you wont get any warning other than you will loose your lights .... bearing in mind by this time it was around 8pm pitch dark and I was on the A1/M at night with my son all over sudden the car shut down while travelling at 70 mph on a motorway at night ..I couldn't even see the hard shoulder or parking lays.. I had no lights ,no hazard lights, no steering nothing and was expected to pull up o the hard shoulder and try to do a battery change in complete darkness with my son who had to help using his phone torch for light we were petrified a lorry was going to hit us or worse. After finally changi g the battery we set off again only to break down again 30 miles from hull between junctions 37 and 38 but this time we were stranded so I had to call rac yet again they then had to get a recovery truck from a company called Rss recovery to take me the last 30 miles I spent almost 18 hours in that car that day and I feel mine and my sons lives were put in extreme danger .the next day I emailed a complaint and got no response so I emailed again and nothing then the rac had the cheek to send me a bill for 270 pounds for the 2 batteries so I called them and refused to pay as I believe they have seriously breached there policy of fixing your car or recovering your car and getting you home safely.after complaining again after the final reminder letter they got straight back to me within 24 hours and surprise surprise they have squashed the bill for 270 but I'm still not happy with the response and the treatment I received can I ask for some compensation in relation to this matter as I am disgusted iwas put through this ordeal many thanks mr Darren Macklin
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am living in hull east yorkshire but the incident started in Cambridge
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Only emailed twice and spoke on the phone yesterday and today the Bill's been cancelled I wonder why??
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just want to know if I can get compensated after this ordeal because I no they have failed me and breached there agreements
Expert:  frantzgregory replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. I will be assisting you with your query.

To give you the best support, could you tell me details of your breakdown cover? Did you pay for any add on services with the RAC?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi there thankyou
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi we had full breakdown and home start cover

It is my understanding that home start cover is an extra add on service. The RAC offer multiple add on services. One of which is; towing a vehicle more than 10 miles. Do you have this included as part of your policy?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi I'm trying to find details out please bear with me
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi this is the cover we have full cover

After looking at what you have forwarded, it does show that you had the add on service of towing a vehicle more than 10 miles. However, the screenshot you provided of the cover ended in April 2019. Do you have a more recent policy with the RAC?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi we only had that proof as wen it was due for renewal we just carried it on so we have cover for all what was in the screenshot
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi are you still looking into this please

Hi you still need to provide evidence to confirm that your cover carried on after April 2019. Do you have an email confirmation that your cover was renewed?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will ask my wife she dealt with it

Any progress ?