How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1531
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

I need advice on sister owns property where i

Customer Question

Hi, i need advice on sister owns property where i used to live with my husband but now i have left the property n my ex is still in property, because few years ago we were looking to buy from my that we r separated and he is been ask to leave the property he is not leving n still demanding that he is tried to arrange to buy it at price agreed before but now since we filed for dicore my sister dnt want to sell hom for discount price n he refuse to leave ..he also said that he has sent a court order to my sister ..i dnt know what that means..plz help
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Nothing because he has brough his father from back home to deal with separation to be stopped which i refuse but they still want to get property coz we lived there n we paid towards the sister only gave notice to leave over 2..3 months but he would not leave but do to old father i hesitate n keep asking to give time..but now its he said there is court order which my sister has to wait n im sick worried..i dnt know what to do..
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No ..we did get advice that since its in her name n there is no contract of rent my sister can just ask to leave ..which she done..but its not working..
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Thats all
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 6 months ago.
Hi, thank you for your message. Can I confirm did he state what type of court order he has applied for?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No just said that he will come with courtborder at 9pm
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do i have to pay for phone call
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 6 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your message. As he does not own the property and was not considered a tenant he has no right to stay in the property. It appears that he may be saying he has applied for a court order but this may not be true. I would advise that you sister instructs a solicitor to write him a letter asking him to leave the property within a certain date. If this does not happen she will need a court order to remove him from the property. The solicitor can help with this application.

You can find a solicitor through the law society using this function: (you will be able to search by area of expertise and location).

I hope this helps. - if you can please accept the answer there will be a box to do so and give me a 5 star rating (top right corner of your screen) and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I hope all is well! I would appreciate if you can please accept my answer there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question today top right corner of your screen otherwise I receive no credit for helping you.