Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have an issue with BMW finance Assistant: Where are you?

Customer Question

I have an issue with BMW finance
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: currently in Glasgow but finance first started in england
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: So I missed two payments
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: then called to sort the notice issued and was told once paid all is good
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Once payment went through they then stated I needed to provide proof of employment
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
As I contract abroad I stated that once I return to Afghan that I will be able to provide all details required and kept them up to date with flight details etc.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Upon getting to Afghan communications were extremely poor and I was unable to contact them. I even tried the email address provided in the managers personal email which later turned out to be incorrect and is why correspondence wasn’t be sent.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When I finally got hold of them to pay again and setup direct debits and provide proof of employment I was informed they had sent a letter cancelling my finance and making me return the car. I then stated that they knew I was out of country and wouldn’t have received such info.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I requested several manager call backs which I never received, I was at one point told being out of country voids the contract too. I pointed out that they agreed to this before purchasing and they then stated later that that wasn’t an issue. I feel as if they took no notice of anything I was saying and we’re deceiving in they conversations
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have been a loyal customer for many years having 4 cars with them and having no issues with payments of which the last car had higher payments. The whole reason for missed payment was due to ex wife somehow getting my account frozen as the bank had refused to remove her name even after numerous attempts by both of us over the years.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The bank issue has been resolved but now this has taken my credit rating from a perfect score to a pretty poor score with a default notice attached.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 6 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

What is it you want to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I want to know if I can keep the car and or return without having to pay thousands for a car I don’t have. I had no issue with VW finance and I can’t understand why BMW is being so unreasonable. What are they hiding, and why do they need proof of employment. Surely they check that before giving someone a £110,000 car?

Are you saying its BMW fault for you have a poor connection?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It’s not there fault for me having a poor connection. But I made them aware of this before I left. And they knew I was out of country when they sent letter. I was being as helpful as possible me and all they wanted was to take car back from the start. I was trying to pay and provide employment details as they requested. I am sure that to lend responsible that they should have checked this before hand?

Were you not just paying by direct debit?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was until the ex wife managed to freeze my bank account
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I’m not even sure how she did this as the bank was aware and had several notes on the account that it’s not aloud to deal with her. For about 8 years we had both tried to get her name removed from my account and she was just feed up with the bank so did that.

Ok, but when it was frozen, didnt you realise?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not at first, but when I did I contacted all the financial companies. All were very reasonable and I’ve had no issues with apart from BMW

You need to write to BMW and make a formal complaint.

They will investigate the matter and report back to you.

If they do not uphold the complaint you can then go to the Financial Ombudsman.

They offer a free, independent service and can investigate your complaint for free at:

www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk

That should resolve it for you.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 5 months ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate me 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today?

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you.