INC Law
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I got a loan to purchase a motorcycle for my boyfriend who

Customer Question

I got a loan to purchase a motorcycle for my boyfriend who agreed to pay the loan repayments back, i own the bike but it was registered in his name, we have since split up and he's refusing to pay although he has paid for a few times when we were together, i cant afford these repayments as i only work part time and have three children, what can i do about this?
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Plymouth
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Contacted CAB who told me it's a small claims court matter which I would have to pay for and I cant
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of thanks
Expert:  INC Law replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for your query. Unfortunately, as you entered into the agreement, you would be liable for the payments. Therefore, if you cannot afford to make the payments, it is likely the motorcycle would be repossessed.

You would have a claim against your ex boyfriend but this would be through the small claims court. You would need to write to the ex boyfriend demanding that he pay the amount under the agreement within 14 days or you will issue a claim.

If at the end of the 14 days, he has not paid you, you will have to issue your claim.

You will be able to do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk.

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I dont want to ruin my credit rating though as i need it for emergencies
Expert:  INC Law replied 7 months ago.

You would need to continue to make the payments and then recover these from your ex through the courts.

Unfortunately if you do not do this, the finance company could take you to court and this would affect your credit rating.

I am sorry if this was not the answer you were expecting. I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.