INC Law
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I need help about letting an outbuilding that was built 15

Hi, I need help about letting an outbuilding that was built 15 years ago in a property I am about to purchase.
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: East London, UK
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi, what exactly would you like to know? Al

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I'm wondering if it's legal to let the outbuilding out seperately to the main building of this property I am about to purchase? Can I make it a seperate dwelling? It has a seperate entrance to main house. Has a shower and kitchen fitted with 1 bedroom and 1 living room but a toilet has not been installed. https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/53027530?utm_source=v1:5bWFDybfWx7C7AGpeagt7mP3PgcqjuqJ&utm_medium=api
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I'd rather message

Thank you for your query. Does the ot holding have planning permission to.be used as a separate dwelling?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It's been built with planning permission in 2005. Does it need seperate permission to be used as an outbuilding? And can that be obtained now?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
But the planning permission it currently has is just for use as a summer house I believe. I can send thoae documents if that helps.

Thank you for the additional information. You would have to apply to your local council for a change of use from a summer house to a dwelling.

Once younhave the consent from the council, you would be able to rent out the outbuilding.

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

if you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi, thanks for getting back to me.
Right so where do we start with that, is it something we can do ourselves or would we need a solicitor to do it for us?

You should be able to do this yourself. You will need to make an application to the planning department of your local council.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi, I'll check the councils website and get back to you if I need any help. Is it as simple as just asking for it to be changed from a summer house to a seperate dwelling? Thanks again.

You will need to make an application and pay a fee, however, you would not need a Solicitor to make the application for you and would be able to do it on your own.

As I have answered your original question, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

Your question will not close and I will be happy to answer any follow up questions.

Many thanks,

INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience: LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)