How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10533
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I have a problem with an internet company but received a

Customer Question

Hello ,I have a problem with an internet company but received a bill via debt collectores
JA: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?
Customer: I have been trying to contact someone to do with fraud as I believe I do not owe them anything .There was a problem within a few days so had to council the agreement .
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I informed them that there was a fault to which I was asked to return their router which I did I have had no contact from them since the equipment was returned and received a demand from the debt collectors .
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: How do I stand in law .
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 7 months ago.

Hello, this is Jim and I am a dual-qualified lawyer (UK and Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you this evening.

Can you elaborate on why they are instructing debt collectors - you say you ordered a router (from the internet company) and returned it - but they have sent you a demand - was something wrong with the router or their service?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
On their letter in caps THIS IS A NOTICE OF INTENTED FURTHER ACTION .AMOUNT DUE £313.10 The internet company Vodafone I have a receipt for the router I took back to the shop the next day I was asked to .
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 7 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** a standard letter fro them. It's a small claim so they will not go to the expense of using debt collectors nor suing you yet.

If the service was poor then you can allege breach of contract against Vodafone (breach of your consumer rights and breach of the Consumer Rights Act 2015).

First of all make a formal complaint against Vodafone and if that does not resolve the matter ask them for a final response letter (a "deadlock" letter). You can make the complaint with Vodafone here: -

Once you have the deadlock letter the next step would be to escalate this to the adjudication scheme (CISAS) - they will investigate and liaise with Vodafone which would hopefully result in a refund of any monies paid and a cancellation of their bill. They can also order the internet company to make a financial award if they have acted badly.

The service is covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015 so you have a right to expect a reasonable service - if they do not provide that then the regulator will step in but it also means you can sue for any damages or losses incurred as a result of Vodafone's conduct.

You can escalate to the adjudicator here :

If you have lost any money then you could sue Vodafone but the court may consider that to be premature if you do not go through CISAS first of all.

You can sue for your losses via the website which is easy to use and no lawyer would be required.

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (there should be a button at the top of your screen to do this), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Many thanks,


Expert:  JimLawyer replied 7 months ago.

I hope I have answered your question. Let me know if anything requires clarification. In the meantime if you could either leave a star rating, or reply “yes”, I would be very grateful.

Many thanks,