How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9985
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

A couple days ago my dog was attacked on street by another 3

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: a couple days ago my dog was attacked on street by another 3 dogs .The owner of the dogs couldn't control them.They were dangerous ant out of control.My dog was injured .He has 3 puncture on the back legs .he is under antibiotic treatment now.We would like to take further legal action against the owner.Can you advice us please?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: in sheffield
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: we called the police they said that they will investigate ..but is a dog to dog issues
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 6 months ago.

Hello, this is Jim and I am a dual-qualified lawyer (UK and Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you this evening.

Sorry to hear the situation. If the dog owner had insurance then it would be somewhat easy to claim compensation - you would simply contact the insurers with details of your losses (vet's bills) and obtain reimbursement. If the owner does not have cover then you will need to send them a formal letter before action to demand payment within 14 days and say that if they do not pay you, you will issue county court proceedings against them. See attached template as an example of what to say. Please let me know if you cannot see the letter which I have uploaded. You will need to tailor this letter to your situation.

You will need to register at so that you are ready to issue the claim in the event they dispute the claim and do not pay you. The website is very user-friendly and you would not need a lawyer to use the money claim site. Claims with a value of under £10,000 are classed as a "small claim", so legal costs are not recoverable and the matter may be dealt with on paper by a Judge, not at a hearing. A hearing may be necessary if the court thinks that oral evidence is required to dispose of the case.

You would claim the sum for the loss, the court issue fee (details of the money claim fees are listed here at page 5: and court interest which is 8% calculated on a daily rate from the date of loss to date of court judgment. The site allows you to calculate the interest and add it to the claim.

If you are on a low income or have low savings (or in receipt of benefits), you can ask the court for a fee remission so you do not have to pay the court issue fee. If this applies, let me know as you cannot use the online money claims site – you have to use the paper N1 claim form and the EX160 fee remission form (I have copies).

If you win then once you have the CCJ from the court the defendant has 14 days to pay in full. If they do not then it gets registered with the credit agencies after 30 days. You can also enforce the CCJ with the county court bailiffs or transfer the debt to the High Court for a small additional fee assuming the total amount owed is at least £600 and you can use the high court enforcement officers who have greater powers than county court bailiffs. The transfer fee is added on to the debt and payable by the defendant.

There are other enforcement methods which I can help with, including bank account freeze, charging order on their property (and then apply to force a sale), apply to summons them to court for questioning, attachment of earnings order against his employer (if employed) - all of which can ensure you are actually repaid the money.

You may find they just pay you after receiving the letter before action – hopefully they will want to avoid litigation.

I hope this helps – if you can please give a positive rating by clicking 5 stars (at the top of your screen), I can answer any follow up questions at no extra charge and I will be credited for helping you today.

Many thanks,


Customer: replied 6 months ago.
what i want you to know is the fact one of the dogs is a pit bull but my major concern is the fact that the dogs are dangerous and the owner totally irresponsible walked them without muzzle.
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 6 months ago.
If it’s a banned breed then the Police would need to take the dog and destroy it (as it attacked yours). Any Dogs which are out of control can also mean the owners face criminal sanctions under the Dangerous Dogs Act in the UK. The Police should be contacted again on the 101 number to ask them what they’re going to about this
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 6 months ago.

Morning, is there anything else I can answer for you?.