How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 17763
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

Assistant: How can I help? our apartment that we are renting

This answer was rated:

Assistant: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: our apartment that we are renting got robbed while we gone. The building has only one was in and out and only the owners of the apartments has the the keys to this building and there is the apartment door with two keys one with ou and the other one with the owner.
Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: It’s next to oxfor st in London
Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: The is no lease we booked it online from booking
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am wondering what will happen now ?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

What is it you want to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There is only two keys for the apartment one is with me and the other is with the rental office.and the thief had the keys to get in .I want to know do i have the right to ask for refund my rant money because i got stolen due to lack of security?
And also can i ask them to pay me back the stolen money?

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request a refund within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is it ok if i emailed them the litter ?
Also I am a tourist here so i will go back to my country I can’t stay here for the 30 days , so can i proceedings online without coming ?

You can email them a litter yes. Yes you can issue but don’t have to be here.

Does that clarify?

Jamie-Law and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you so much for your help