UK Solicitor John
UK Solicitor John, Solicitor
Experience:  8 years legal experience
106125879

A judgement was held against me at the County Court Business

Customer Question

A judgement was held against me at the County Court Business Centre without me being there. The case/claim for £880.27 was brought against me by a private parking firm, One Parking, who have been contracted by my Landlord to prevent unauthorised/non tenants parking on the landlords private road - which is suppose to be for tenants only.
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am tenant and was ticket outside my block in Southwark, London. The CC Business Centre judgement was made in Northampton. They say I had not replied to their claim form so therefore I will have to pay the amount of £880.27. I did not receive their claim form. We have outside mailboxes in our block and post and parcels are targeted regularly, by thieves, all the time.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None! I refused to reply to their demands as they no I am a tenant and my car is registered at my address.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I cannot think of anything at present.
Expert:  UK Solicitor John replied 14 days ago.

Hello. You’ll have to apply to have the judgement set aside. To have the judgement set aside you’ll have to fill in form N244 and send it to the court. You may have to pay a court fee of £255. You’ll then have to go to a private hearing at the court to explain why you do not owe the money and you should give the reasons you’ve stated here. If you do not go to the hearing, your application will be rejected and you’ll have to pay the amount in the judgment.

I hope this helps and I would be grateful for a positive rating. Thank you, John.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi John,
I cannot afford to pay £255, I am on Universal Credit.
I am tenant and was ticket outside my block in Southwark, London. The CC Business Centre judgement was made in Northampton. They say I had not replied to their claim form so therefore I will have to pay the amount of £880.27. I did not receive their claim form. We have outside mailboxes in our block and post and parcels are targeted regularly, by thieves, all the time.

The Private Parking company is deliberately ticketing tenants cars because, we believe, they do not make enough money from the non tenants parking illegally there.

I understand, but unfortunately this is the legal position and if you do not apply to set it aside you will have to pay it. But you can get help with the court fees.

If you’re on a low income, or if you’re on certain benefits and do not have much in savings, you might be able to get money off the court fee.

You can check your eligibility here

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/apply-for-help-with-court-and-tribunal-fees

You can apply here

Get help paying court and tribunal fees - GOV.UK

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.

My pleasure. Please let me know if anything else is needed. And kindly provide a rating before you leave the site. Thank you.

Expert:  UK Solicitor John replied 12 days ago.

Hi can you provide a rating for my answer please?