Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I have a car which is in repair in preparation to be sold.

Hello, I have a car which is in repair in preparation to be sold. It's a classic car value +/- 85k. My financial situation dictates that I now cannot pay for the repairs, but still need the car to be completed and offered for sale in order to provide funding to pay the garage. Can a 'charge' be placed on the car, so that the proceeds of the sale can be used to pay the garage?
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

How long has the garage had the car for?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it has been for sale with them for over a year. Then needed an mot. Upon inspection many works were needed to be carried out. The maintenance jobs were started around end November/December 2019
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no i'd prefer online advice please

No problem and thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. You can potentially place a ‘charge’ on the car but because this is made by you as an individual, it will not be registered anywhere and not as good for the company in terms of the security they may want.

There is some further information on the options here:

https://www.charlesrussellspeechlys.com/en/news-and-insights/insights/financial-services/2016/bills-of-sale/

In the end you will likely need a solicitor to implement any such security, or you can still do it the simpler way through a written agreement where you promise to pay these costs on the sale of the car.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Many thanks indeed. I was thinking to offer the garage the option to place a charge on the vehicle. As a gesture of good faith. It seems that could be acceptable in the circumstances.

Yes it can be and it is possible the only thing was with the practicalities of doing that which is not always that easy if it involves a private individual like yourself. But as mentioned this ‘charge’ can just be a piece of paper which clearly describes each party’s rights in that respect