UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I am 29 and when I was 18 my grandparents died leaving me

Customer Question

Hi. I am 29 and when I was 18 my grandparents died leaving me £15000 inheritance. My parents no longer live together and my father is refusing to give me the money as he wants me to spend it things he believes to be constructive. I have suffered from anxiety and depression since 15, and my Father is using my mental health as a reason for not giving me the money as he thinks I would fritter it away on meaningless things instead of using it to , for example, on property or fees for courses. Despite my anxiety I hold down a full time job and always achieved well academically. I would like the money now and he is refusing to give it to me. What are my options? I don't to take it to court and wouldn't want to sue my father as both options involve me spending money that I don't have, as well as damaging my relationship with him.Please let me know what my options are.Best,
Juniper
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 15 days ago.

Hello Juniper,

You may send your father a letter asking for the money to be paid to you within say 14 days as the money belongs to you and that you are free to spend it as you wish failing which you may take the matter further.

If your father still refuses to pay you, you may then take court proceedings or report him to the police but as you say, you do not wish to do this in which case you do not have any further option I am afraid.

May I help further?