How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7213
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I am 29 and when I was 18 my grandparents died leaving me

Customer Question

Hi. I am 29 and when I was 18 my grandparents died leaving me £15000 inheritance. My parents no longer live together and my father is refusing to give me the money as he wants me to spend it things he believes to be constructive. I have suffered from anxiety and depression since 15, and my Father is using my mental health as a reason for not giving me the money as he thinks I would fritter it away on meaningless things instead of using it to , for example, on property or fees for courses. Despite my anxiety I hold down a full time job and always achieved well academically. I would like the money now and he is refusing to give it to me. What are my options? I don't to take it to court and wouldn't want to sue my father as both options involve me spending money that I don't have, as well as damaging my relationship with him.Please let me know what my options are.Best,
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 6 months ago.

Hello Juniper,

You may send your father a letter asking for the money to be paid to you within say 14 days as the money belongs to you and that you are free to spend it as you wish failing which you may take the matter further.

If your father still refuses to pay you, you may then take court proceedings or report him to the police but as you say, you do not wish to do this in which case you do not have any further option I am afraid.

May I help further?