12826847

I have an enquiry re defamation and libel, and if myself and

Customer Question

Hi. I have an enquiry re defamation and libel, and if myself and colleagues have a claim against the author of a recently published book.
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I’m in London, uk
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None so far. It is quite a long story which I can copy paste to you on here, but we are considering a cease and desist letter in the first instance before considering a defamation libel case.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes it’s regarding Facebook posts that have been quoted and published in a book without either mine or Facebook permission which I believe breaches copyright, and also that those quotes have been taken out of context. The quotes also are followed by initials which mean the identity of the original poster can be deduced.
Expert:  JGM replied 10 days ago.

Thanks for your question. I am an intellectual property lawyer in the UK dealing with copyright and related matters. Can you explain the copyright situation a little more please and also specifically advise what the defamation issue is? I’m in meetings for a few hours now but I will be able to pick up your response later today.