How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawyer21 Your Own Question
Lawyer21, CILEx Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2392
Experience:  CILEx Lawyer
Type Your Law Question Here...
Lawyer21 is online now

I lived in the UK for approximately 13 years and left in

Customer Question

I lived in the UK for approximately 13 years and left in 1992 when I got a job in Nigeria. I got my ILR before leaving and have visited regularly since leaving. I now want to apply for citizenship. I was told my ILR was cancelled because I was using it as a visa. Kindly advice.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I tried last year and was told I have stayed too long in Nigeria. Also, the.reason for tha cancellation of the ILR was not clear as it seems the immigration officer should not have done that. I am a Nigerian citizen.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the citizenship application?
Customer: Yes, early last year and was advised to come to the UK for a couple of months and reapply. I am a chartered accountant by profession and currently on a 10 year visa.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not for now
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Lawyer21 replied 7 months ago.

Hi How can I help?

Expert:  Lawyer21 replied 7 months ago.

As you had ILR and did not return back within 2 years you can lose your indefinite leave to remain in the UK.

Expert:  Lawyer21 replied 7 months ago.

However did you make an application to re-enter as a Returning resident?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No, I did not apply as a returning resident, I was not aware this was possible.
Expert:  Lawyer21 replied 7 months ago.

If you apply now you would need to show and demonstrate what ties and reason you wish to return back to the UK. Did the Home office cancel your ILR?

Expert:  Lawyer21 replied 7 months ago.

They would also want to know why you was out of the country for a substantial period of time

Expert:  Lawyer21 replied 7 months ago.

Do you still have family ties in the UK?