INC Law
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I paid deposit the rent deposit on a house with my and my ex

Customer Question

I paid deposit the rent deposit on a house with my and my ex partner, she is now moving out so am I entitled to the deposit back??
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Essex, Southend on sea.
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Well nothing at the moment as I don't know if I'm entitled to actually have the money back, or will it just be a waste of time
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's fine
Expert:  INC Law replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for your query. Are you living in the property also?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, we split up a while ago and she's been living in the house ever since. But she is moving house and due back the deposit
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No messaging is fine
Expert:  INC Law replied 6 months ago.

If that is the case, yes you would be entitled to claim it back from your ex Partner. You should either request the agent to return to you directly or you will have to ask you ex to pay it to you.

If she does not, you will have to issue a claim through the small claims court. You should write to her demand that she pay you within 14 days or you will issue legal proceedings. If at the end of the 14 days you have not received your money, you will have to issue your claim. You will be able to do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.