Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

Someone I know is wanting to turn themselves into the police

Customer Question

Hello,Someone I know is wanting to turn themselves into the police for having had sex at 16 with someone who was 15. They were both in a relationship together, and were having sex before she turned 16 and continued when she turned 16. This relationship was also emotionally abusive from him to her. It is now 10 years later, and she feels so guilty for breaking the law and believes she deserves to be punished. If she does go to the police, what do you think will happen to her and what can I do to help?
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 7 months ago.

Hi thank you for your message, so she was 15 and then turned 16 how old was the other party?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The other party was 15

Hi thank you for your message, then it is very unlikely that anything will happen to your friend or to the other party. The police and CPS generally consider that were both parties are 15 it is not in the public interest to prosecute such offences even if a crime has been committed, in this case a crime will have technically been committed by both parties but it is incredibly unlikely a prosecution would result especially a decade after the events concerned. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry, what she is most worried about is the fact that she had sex with him when she was sixteen years old and he was fifteen years old. If she goes to the police, will anything happen to her if she disclosed this?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you very much for your help with this. Sorry for having not worded clearly

She will likely be interviewed but it is very unlikely anything would happen to her as it is unlikely the police would think it is in the public interest to prosecute. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you very much for your help. She also felt under some pressure from the 15 year old to have sex and is dealing with mental illness now and trauma from the abuse with this person. Will this be taken into account? The need to confess this is part of her mental illness.I am worried if I can’t stop her and if she did get prosecuted, what would happen to her? Is there anyway I can help her? Sorry to be asking more questions of you. I am appreciative of your response and will be sure to give you 5 stars

Well this would be taken into account yes but feeling pressured is not the same as abuse as such. For example she might have felt that he wanted to have sex and decided to agree so to not disappoint him that is not abuse that is criminal conversely, if he forced himself on her without her consent that would be rape and criminal. Therefore, the only factor that really matters is she was 16 and he was 15 meaning she was able to legally have sex and he was not meaning she committed a criminal offence and he did not at that point in time. If she get prosecuted and convicted then she will be convicted of rape, a very serious offence which mean imprisonment, she would also almost certainly be entered onto the sex offenders register. The best way to help her is to persuade her not to go to the police with this but if she is determined to do so then she should have a criminal solicitor to represent her and protect her interests. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you very much. What I refer to was sexual coercion with anger and emotional abuse and manipulation. Am I able to inform the police of these details if she does not herself? It seems unfair to me she has gone through this and could end up in more pain, especially being charged with something like rape. I just want to make sure I can protect her the best I can, if she is determined to do this. It seems incredibly unfair and wrong when they were both of similar age, even in the same year at school to say she raped him and she doesn’t deserve that. I will try to tell her not to or have a solicitor present. But as you said before, prosecution is unlikely in these cases? Sorry to ask so many questions. I just want to make sure I am protecting my friend. This will be the end of my questions
If she wants you to accompany her and if she allows you to be present at the interview the police should allow you too in which case you can inform them of these extra details. Yes prosecution is unlikely. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.