How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3873
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

My grand daughter (age 5) told her mother about an incident

Customer Question

My grand daughter (age 5) told her mother about an incident when she was at the childminders some two years ago. She said the husband of the child minder had 'stroked her' arms and she didn't like it. My daughter reported this to the police but they want to 'interview' the child. My daughter wants to wait until she has ascertained through a private specialist child psychologist - not have her upset by untrained police enquiries. My daughter has had repeated calls to go to the police station and this morning a police car and uniformed officer arrived at her door demanding she go in. She is currently at Hounslow Police station and has been told she has to wait for over an hour. What are her rights to protect her child from this heavy handed handling of the situation?
JA: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: No. My daughter only made a panicked call to the police on 9th January immediately after her daughter told her.
JA: Have they talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: She doesn't know who to call or what to do. She is very upset. She has two other younger children at home with her husband.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My grand daughter is a bright happy child doing well at primary school with no obvious signs of any past trauma. It needs very sensitive handling to ascertain if any thing else did occur when she was very young without anyone putting any ideas or feelings of guilt. My daughter is very concerned that she remain in control over the way this done.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 2 months ago.
Hi thank you for your message, firstly your daughter does not have to continue with the complaint and can indicate she no longer wishes to proceed and does not want her daughter to be interviewed she cannot be forced to agree. She should also request if the interview continues that specialist officers trained in dealing with children conduct the interview. She can also ask for an appropriate adult to attend with her daughter and assist her in belong her daughter. She can stop the interview at any time and her daughter should be given plenty of breaks. The questions should also be appropriate for her age for example the use of dolls to show where she was touched is common. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.