plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

I would like some advice on a relationship break up with

Customer Question

Hi there
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I would like some advice on a relationship break up with regards ***** ***** if possible please
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am based in Southampton
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None as yet - looking for advice first
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Only that the relationship has already broken up and we are no longer living together and so looking to see what agreement I can put in place
Expert:  plclegal replied 7 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to assist you today.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

Can you tell me - are you married?

Is there a property that is owned, jointly or otherwise?

Do you have any children under 18 together?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have been in a relationship for nearly 4 years with someone. The house we lived in was purchased under a Help to Buy scheme under my partner's name only as I was already on a mortgage with my ex husband so couldn't go on the mortgage. We also took out a loan which was in my name only and covered the stamp duty, solicitors fees and the rest of the deposit for the house in my partner's name. We purchased the house in April 2017 and the relationship has broken up in October time last year and we are now both living separate lives etc apart from sorting out the house which is now being rented out. My ex partner has said that he will continue to pay me half of the loan each month and in return give me 30% of the property value when it is sold in a year or two but I need to know what type of agreement I need to get him to sign for this offer from him to be legal and that he can be held to account for. I have paid half of the mortgage and bills etc since the day we moved in and also half of all the contents in the house as well and I have proof of that as the joint account we had is still open and has all of the payments in and out and indeed paid this until November last year. My ex partner has now just moved out of the area and is currently not working. I realise that I am in a very vulnerable position with the mortgage being in his name and the loan being in my name but just need to know what my rights are if any and what agreement needs to be in place. Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I should also add that there are no children involved. The rent that my ex partner is receiving for the house is going directly to him each month and the amount covers the mortgage payment and an excess of £220 per month. He did say at one point that any excess he would pay off the loan each month and then we would split what is left between us but I have to say that I do not trust or believe anything he says so need to know what my rights are and what the best outcome would be for me. I cannot afford to pay the full loan each month on my own. Thanks
Expert:  plclegal replied 7 months ago.

I would suggest that you need to have a deed of trust drawn up to reflect the arrangement that you are seeking to protect.

You would need a solicitor to do this for you - you will find one via the link here: https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

With a deed of trust you would then be able to enforce this in court if needed, but as you say it should not come to this.

I hope this assists?

Expert:  plclegal replied 7 months ago.

Hello - I didn't hear from you.

Can I assist you further with your question?

If you have further questions, you can always come back to me.

In the meantime, if you could take a second to provide a 5 star rating (top right of your screen) I'll be credited for my time spent responding to your question.

Kind regards,

Peter

Expert:  plclegal replied 6 months ago.

Hello - I didn't hear from you.

Kind regards,

Peter

Expert:  plclegal replied 6 months ago.

Hello - I didn't hear from you.

Kind regards,

Peter

Expert:  plclegal replied 6 months ago.

Hello - I didn't hear from you.

Kind regards,

Peter

Expert:  plclegal replied 6 months ago.

Hello - I didn't hear from you.

Kind regards,

Peter

Expert:  plclegal replied 6 months ago.

Hello - I didn't hear from you.

Kind regards,

Peter

Expert:  plclegal replied 5 months ago.

Hello - I didn't hear from you.

Kind regards,

Peter