How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask C.Cornel Your Own Question
C.Cornel, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1094
Experience:  Senior Lawyer at Legal Group
Type Your Law Question Here...
C.Cornel is online now

My husband moved in out in June 2018 and I have been paying

This answer was rated:

My husband moved in out in June 2018 and I have been paying the mortgage by myself ever since. Does the money I have paid by myself just benefit me or will they go 50% towards him?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: in Watford UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None but we have a court order for 20th January because we are £8000 behind in payments to give the mortgage power to take the next steps to evict us
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That we have 4 dependants. I am looking to get a divorce but want the house situation sorted.


On the assumption that no legal agreement exists between you and your husband, I am afraid that the house equity will be split equally between you and your husband.

Your contributions to the mortgage would produce no legal effect, unless you sign a legally binding agreement with your husband in that regard.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My mother will pay the outstanding of the mortgage arrears but she won't do so unless he doesn't benefit from it. How can I do this?

By having your husband agree and sign a legally binding agreement in this regard.

Otherwise, there won't be an effective method that produces the required legal effects.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also, if I wanted to sell the property, could I argue a larger share based on that I need to house the children? He doesn't have overnight visits and rarely sees them.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is this something that I can do myself? (the legally binding agreement) and get a solicitor to witness?

Yes, that would be a valid argument.

I would advise against making such a legal agreement yourself, perhaps you can find a solicitor with lower rates that can help you.

The law firm that I am part of can help you, but our legal rates are fairly substantial.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How much would it cost approximiately going through your law firm please?

In the range of £1000.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
how quickly could this be done?

If it's super urgent, within 24 hours or by Monday.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Would this cover my mum's loan to us for the outstanding mortgage? Also, she has paid the mortgage for several months when our business collapsed, could she look to getting that back out of any potential house sale?

Yes, it could cover all these particular legal details.

And yes, she could look to getting back the money from the house sale.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
All the outstanding monies before now? It could be going back a few years - but certainly in the past 7 years.

Yes, but we would need all those particular details.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thank you - I will talk to her and get back to you.

Sure, have a lovely day.

Thank you.

C.Cornel and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you