C.Cornel
C.Cornel, Lawyer
Experience:  Senior Lawyer at Legal Group
105439980

My husband moved in out in June 2018 and I have been paying

My husband moved in out in June 2018 and I have been paying the mortgage by myself ever since. Does the money I have paid by myself just benefit me or will they go 50% towards him?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: in Watford UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None but we have a court order for 20th January because we are £8000 behind in payments to give the mortgage power to take the next steps to evict us
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That we have 4 dependants. I am looking to get a divorce but want the house situation sorted.

Hello.

On the assumption that no legal agreement exists between you and your husband, I am afraid that the house equity will be split equally between you and your husband.

Your contributions to the mortgage would produce no legal effect, unless you sign a legally binding agreement with your husband in that regard.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
My mother will pay the outstanding of the mortgage arrears but she won't do so unless he doesn't benefit from it. How can I do this?

By having your husband agree and sign a legally binding agreement in this regard.

Otherwise, there won't be an effective method that produces the required legal effects.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Also, if I wanted to sell the property, could I argue a larger share based on that I need to house the children? He doesn't have overnight visits and rarely sees them.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Is this something that I can do myself? (the legally binding agreement) and get a solicitor to witness?

Yes, that would be a valid argument.

I would advise against making such a legal agreement yourself, perhaps you can find a solicitor with lower rates that can help you.

The law firm that I am part of can help you, but our legal rates are fairly substantial.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
How much would it cost approximiately going through your law firm please?

In the range of £1000.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
And how quickly could this be done?

If it's super urgent, within 24 hours or by Monday.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Would this cover my mum's loan to us for the outstanding mortgage? Also, she has paid the mortgage for several months when our business collapsed, could she look to getting that back out of any potential house sale?

Yes, it could cover all these particular legal details.

And yes, she could look to getting back the money from the house sale.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
All the outstanding monies before now? It could be going back a few years - but certainly in the past 7 years.

Yes, but we would need all those particular details.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok thank you - I will talk to her and get back to you.

Sure, have a lovely day.