How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ross Miller Your Own Question
Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1767
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ross Miller is online now

I have a aunt who was put into a care home about 3yrs ago

This answer was rated:

I have a aunt who was put into a care home about 3yrs ago against her will apprantly for her own good. She was always a very independent woman who is in her 90.i did try to get some advice for her last year and her son and daughter-in-law stopped it she dose not get on with them at all. And has also stoped me from taking her out of the home. She dose have vascular dementia now worse because there is no activity for them to do. She dose or did own her own home which all her belonging have been removed. There is a court case comeing up in feb 6th 2020 as it has been reported that she was put in there against her will but I cannot find out who reported she will not have anyone to go for her to say anything for her I was not told about the court date by the son.can I get any help for her?i am the only person she turns too.
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: She is in Drayton village.
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: I don’t know because thay won’t tell me anything.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: There only reply to somethings I have tried to ask in a roundabout way is she fell over in her own home but she has also had a fall and taken to hospital last night but her son and daughter-in-law only saw her today. So thay don’t bother with her much I have been told several time.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm okay with waiting
thank you

Can you tell me who placed her in care against her will and who is taking who to court?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It was her son and daughter in law who placed her in care against her will. Her son is being taken to court however I don't know who by. He has restricted her from going to court herself and therefore she also has nobody to represent her. In addition to this, he has also prevented me from taking her away from the care home even during the day, so I was just wondering what options are available?

In terms of representation, she will not need it. If the son is being taken to court for a criminal issue then the CPS will be the representative acting the public interest so don't worry about that aspect. If you feel that she is not getting the treatment she deserves then what you could do is apply to the court have power of attorney granted to you instead of the step children. You would have to make this application to the court and put your case forward however, as they are being taken to court then it seems as though you may have a good case. if the court decide to grant you Power of Attorney then you will be able to make decisions based on what you feel is in her best interest. You would be well advised to instruct a solicitor to help you do this as its not a simple procedure.

I hope this information has helped. You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

I would be obliged if you could Click to “accept” the answer and leave me a 5 star rating (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge.

Kind regards


Ross Miller,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1767
Experience: Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
Ross Miller and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My aunt did write a letter asking that I take being next of kin for her welfare addressing it to the solicitor that is dealing with the case and she addressed it personal so would that be given to the person or would the staff manager have to give it to the son.