Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

Me and my partner are in the process of buying a house

Customer Question

Me and my partner are in the process of buying a house however the mortgage is going to be solely in his name due to my credit file however I will be living in the property what is the process of being put on the house deeds with his consent?
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: We have reserved a plot of a new build and a mortgage advisor has found my partner a decision in principle
Assistant: Where is the house located?
Customer: Runcorn Cheshire
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no nothing so far Thankyou
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 6 months ago.

Hi, thanks for your enquiry.

I am afraid that as your partner is the only one going on the Mortgage, the Deeds will have to be in his sole name also, as the Lender will insist that all owners of the property are also on the Mortgage.

Likewise, if he wishes to add you to the Deeds at anytime after completion of the purchase, he will need to obtain the consent of the Lender and they will only agree if you also are added to the Mortgage.

So, you will have to wait until your credit file is in better shape before there is any chance of you going on the Deeds/Mortgage.

I am sorry this is not the answer you were looking for but it sets out the legal position. If I have assisted, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer with 4-5 stars.

Kind Regards

Al