Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
106205234

My neice is in county court for rent arrears, she works but

Customer Question

my neice is in county court for rent arrears, she works but has universal credit, can we get a duty solicitor to represent her
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: southend on sea essex
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i have personaly paid 1000 pound to reduce the debt, if she pays 30 pound she should be incredit on court day
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: she's already paying about 70 pound above her rent, but her UC payment always paid in arears andI suspect the housing association wants her to be 4 weeks in advance
Expert:  Ross Miller replied 14 days ago.

Hello my name is Ross and I can help with this matter. The short answer to your question is no, you will not get a duty solicitor. Duty solicitors are only really made available when someone has been arrested and they require immediate advice from a solicitor. However, given the circumstances your niece could represent herself. It is really not difficult to do in these types of cases. What you would want to do is gather some financial evidence about her current financial circumstances and present these to the judge as mitigating factors. If a judgment is made agains her for the arrears then she can ask for "time to pay" and pay it up just like any other debt. Another route is legal aid. However, you would have to make an applications to the legal aid board. The best way to go about this is to speak to local solicitors and see if any of them will perhaps take the case on based on the application for legal aid. I will provide a link for you to find a local solicitor below. If she is in credit on court day then they really don't have a case and you can ask for the matter to be dismissed giving an undertaking (promise) to the court that the payments will continue to keep her in credit.

I hope this information has helped. You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

I would be obliged if you could Click to “accept” the answer and leave me a 5 star rating (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge.

Ross

Expert:  Ross Miller replied 11 days ago.

Ross

Expert:  Ross Miller replied 9 days ago.

Ross