Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Does have an absolute immunity?

Does King have an absolute immunity?

Hello. I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and will be able to resolve your legal problem today.

Regarding the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call, I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the offer. However, if you do not want a phone call, please cancel the offer for a Premium Service Phone Call and you will not be charged extra.

To enable me to answer your query, please provide me with some further information about your legal issue and how you want a lawyer to help you.

When you say "King", do you mean a member of the Royal Family?

If so, which country?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I prefer to not specify a particular king or queen. But in general if a person is king as well as head of the state, will he has absolute immunity? Also, members of Royal families, do they have immunity?

There is the concept of "Diplomatic Immunity" in International Law whereby a Head of State or Civil Civil cannot be arrested or prosecuted by another country. However, it is not 100% bullet proof protection and can be revoked in certain circumstances.

Heads of State are not immune in their own countries and can be charged with crimes such as theft, murder, rape and abuses of public office.

I hope this resolves your enquiry. Please revert to me if you have any further questions and I will be delighted to assist.

Otherwise, I shall be grateful if you will please mark your enquiry as “Closed” and give me a “Positive” rating in order to conclude this matter.

LawyerEd

Hello my name is Jamie and I will help you with this.

I see the expert has opted out.

I agree with their reply. What else do you want to know?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
My question was about King not a normal head of state. Also I asked about the Royal family members. So, the answer I received is different from my question
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I prefer writing

Can they be sued, no.

That is because in the UK we are subjects, not citizens.

The King/Queen/Royal Family can not be sued.

It is called Sovereign Immunity

Sovereign immunity is a customary principle, under which the Queen and the criminal law simply don’t mix. It was last tested in court in 1911, when King George V was accused of bigamy: the Lord Chief Justice decided that the King could not be ordered to give evidence, and that was the end of that.

The rest of the Royal Family, save for the Queen can be prosecuted for criminal offences.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Any idea about the position of international law on this issue

No idea sadly. You posted this in UK law. I can only tell you about here.

Does that clarify?

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience: Solicitor