How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7188
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I own a leasehold property. I owed £900 to the ground rent

This answer was rated:

I own a leasehold property. I owed £900 to the ground rent collection company.
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: l arranged repayment of £300 per month in October, paid October’ payment, but didn’t pay November and December payments in error. I believed the payments were £300 every 3 months, not 1 month. This was my mistake. On 1st January l l received solicitor letter threatening proceeding to court to forfeit my lease. It included the £600 l owed plus £430 fees. I accepted my mistake and called the creditor to pay the £600, as the total payment was no more than a day overdue. I felt it unfair that l was required to pay fees of approximately £450, on a £600 debt. I have refused to acknowledge the solicitor, but emailed and called the creditor directly. They will not deal with me as they say my account is blocked, but l refuse to deal with the solicitor, because it generates further fees which l am not prepared to pay. Am l obliged by law to deal with these solicitors?
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes. My account has been blocked, but if l had paid the November and December payments of £300, they would have been rejected. That is the creditors company policy. I accept my fault in not paying as agreed, but do l have any valid argument in that the creditor would rejected my payments in any event?


Does the lease permit the freeholder/ground rent company to impose legal fees on you?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don’t know and don’t have my lease. I believe it does.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I’d prefer a written answer, based on the freeholder/ground rent company having the right to charge me fees.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do you intend answering my question?

Sorry, I was offline.

This is an email service, so you would receive an email when the expert has responded to you.

You need to check if your lease allows the freeholder to charge legal fees in the event of default of ground rent.

You may pay the ground rent and dispute the legal fees element. They would need to take you to court to recover that element and you may defend any claim that they bring on that aspect.

All the best. Please click on 5 stars if this helps.

UKSolicitorJA and 6 other Law Specialists are ready to help you