How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 37597
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Assistant: How can I help? I have recently separated from my

Customer Question

Assistant: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I have recently separated from my long term partner due to discovering he’s been unfaithful. We have two small children and a house to sell. I am on the mortgage but I was wondering if you could give some advise regarding money that was gifted to us for buying. The house. From both sets of parents.
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Suffolk UK
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: He’s moved in with his parents. We’d agreed verbally that he’d pay the mortgage and the children and I could stay their in lieu for him not paying child maintenance. As it worked out the same costs. He now says he wants to sell the house as his parents are pressuring him to move out and that they want the money gifted back.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don’t think so
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  INC Law replied 6 months ago.


Thank you for your query. Are you married?

Are you jointly named on the title deeds?

If so, is there a Declaration of Trust setting out the amount out un by each persons respective parents?