INC Law
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I am a UK citizen who works as a NATO employee in the

Good morning. I am a UK citizen who works as a NATO employee in the Netherlands for 20 years. 2 months ago we were informed at work that regulations had changed and that, as NATO employees, we qualified as "Crown Servants" with respect to registering to vote despite living abroad for over 15 years.
JA: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: All of my UK colleagues successfully registered to vote. However, my registered council (Royal Borough of Kingston Upon Thames) refused me.
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I am an employee
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Kingston council has said they don't care what other councils decide with regard to voters in my situation. The Electoral Commission won't help. They say I have to take it to court
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have various emails from my colleagues from their councils confirming their registration
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Either they have all been incorrectly registered, or I have been incorrectly denied. One of these statements logically must be true.

Thank you for your query. I am of the opinion, your local council has made an error. Have you filed a formal complaint with your local council?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not yet. It is the next thing on my list of things to do this morning.

I would suggest that you first file a complaint with the local council. If you do not get a satisfactory response, you will have to escalate the complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman. Further details can be found at the following link: https://www.lgo.org.uk/make-a-complaint

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. That link is very helpful. I am disappointed that the Electoral Commission did not provide it!

It's a pleasure.

Kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

many thanks