How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 5797
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

I have recently sent emails to BET365 Stadium regarding a

This answer was rated:

Hi I have recently sent emails to BET365 Stadium regarding a complaint at our companies works Christmas party. My foot got stuck on the dance floor - fortunately a colleague caught me as I started to loose my balance and fall backwards I need help to release my foot. In the process my shoe was damaged in several places. Pictures were sent. My local shoe repair shop has confirmed that they are beyond repair. 1st time worn and bought for this night out. Their response (after chasing them) - "images and information does not make the Club liable for a pair of replacement shoes" - should they not be covered by Public liability insurance? I could have broken my ankle/leg/neck - can I take them to the small claims court as very disheartened by their fobbed off response? Susheela York
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I work full time so it is difficult to take time off to see a solicitor. I live in the UK and the incident happened at local football ground - Stoke City, UK private function rooms.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Sent an email 13.12.19 with attached photographs - I even stated that I would pop back to the stadium with the damaged shoes - no response to email - re-sent 08.01.2020 giving them 7 working days to respond or I would pursue via my local Country Court. Response from stadium the same day stating that they has responded on the 20th Dec - but that email was not forward just a response to my chaser?
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Think I have covered everything - our works party planner also made a separate complaint regarding other issues including space, food, uneven flooring and included a mention about the damage to my shoe - she has never received a response?
Your best response is to proceed to go down the legal claim route it would be helpful if you can get a statement from a colleague or colleagues stating what happened. You should contact BET365 stadium again and ask for payment of the money for the shoes in 14 days or you will issue legal proceedings, make sure this is in writing.
You will need to register at so that you are ready to issue the claim in the event they dispute the claim and do not pay you. The website is very user-friendly and you would not need a lawyer to use the money claim site. Claims with a value of under £10,000 are classed as a "small claim", so legal costs are not recoverable and the matter may be dealt with on paper by a Judge, not at a hearing. A hearing may be necessary if the court thinks that oral evidence is required to dispose of the case.
You would claim the sum for the loss, the court issue fee (details of fees are here at page 5: and court interest which is 8% calculated on a daily rate from the date of loss to date of court judgment. The site allows you to calculate the interest and add it to the claim.
If you are on a low income or have low savings (or in receipt of benefits), you can ask the court for a fee remission so you do not have to pay the court issue fee.
If you win then once you have the CCJ from the court the defendant has 14 days to pay in full. If they do not then it gets registered with the credit agencies after 30 days. You can also enforce the CCJ with the county court bailiffs or transfer the debt to the High Court for a small additional fee assuming the total amount owed is at least £600 and you can use the high court enforcement officers who have greater powers than county court bailiffs. The transfer fee is added on to the debt and payable by the defendant.
I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you I will be taking this further
Glad I could help I would appreciate if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.
Jeremy Aldermartin and other Law Specialists are ready to help you