INC Law
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I am asking in behalf of a friend of mine who is a term

I am asking in behalf of a friend of mine who is a long term tenant. I understand that hers is a protected tenancy. Her home is a ground floor flat. We know her landlord would like her to move on because he could get a much higher rent with an assured hold tennant.
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Let me continue with her current problem.
Assistant: Where is the home located?
Customer: Hendon.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes earlier in the year her ceiling came down. Not sure why. Probably a water leak in the upper flat.

Thank you for your query. What exactly is your question in relation to this?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Eventually the ceiling was repaired but there is virtually no sound proofing. My friend is constantly disturbed by noise and movement upstairs. The tenants upstairs are a good couple with young children.
But the constant noise is having a severe emotional effect on my friend.
She is over sixty and has been working for the Blood Transfusion service.
The landlords seem to have no intention of sorting the problem. I suspect they hope to drive my friend out.
For now she wishes to be anonymous. She has told me her landlord is a solicitor.
What are her options? I have suggested she gets in touch with her council so they can asses the noise problem.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Could her landlord be liable to fix the sound proofing and possibly pay damages?

The first place would be to start with the local council and request that they assess the works carried out and suggest any remedial works.

If the landlord does not then carry out the works, she would be entitled to issue court proceedings or the council will take action against the landlord themselves.

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Assuming the council agree that remedial work needs to be done, what would be a reasonable length of time to allow for the work to be done? If the council agree that because of the effect of the noise on my friend she should temporarily move out who would be liable for any expense ?

The council will normally stipulate a time scale in which to carry put the works. It could be up to a few months. Failing which, they would take enforcement action.

I hope this answers your questions. if so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

many thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What about any temporary relocation expenses?

The landlord would be responsible for anything over the normal rent.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will I get a transcript of this consultation? I am very happy with your response.

It's a pleasure.

Kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.