How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9998
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

Can a person currently abroad and needing to provide a

This answer was rated:

Good morning
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: Can a person currently abroad and needing to provide a witnessed signature on a UK lease document have it witnessed by a foreign national living in a foreign country?
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: The person is currently in California
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: She has a renewal lease document to sign and return to a UK solicitor. The signing has to be witnessed. She has paid her premium as it as actually a renewal lease for a lease extension
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you

Hello, this is Jim and I am a dual-qualified lawyer (UK and Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you today.

Yes, the idea of the document being witnessed means if the person signing it disputes they put pen to paper, the witness can be called upon to confirm the document was actually signed. As long as the witness is over 18 years of age then it would be fine. They do not need to be a lawyer or read the document either.

I hope this helps – if you can please give a positive rating by clicking 5 stars (at the top of your screen), I can answer any follow up questions at no extra charge and I will be credited for helping you today.

Many thanks,


JimLawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you