How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1770
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

My ex partner has changed the locks on our house and refused

This answer was rated:

Hello my ex partner has changed the locks on our house and refused to give me a key what can I do ?
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Yes its currently going through the courts.
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Southampton
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I've just spoke to the police and they have advised to seek legal advice

Good day your question has been forwarded to me to see if i may be of assistance.

Is the house rented or bought?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We both own it
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry I cant afford to call

That is fine re call. That was an automated system prompt. Were there any domestic violence between you and your ex partner?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No he can verbally abusive

Thanks . Give me a minute, i am writing a response to your question.

Thank you for your patience. As the property is owned by you both, you are equally entitled to an interest in it. As such, he has no legal basis to exclude you from occupying it.

I asked you about domestic violence. As, you may be able to apply for an occupation order. if you are able to evidence he was abusive during the relationship There are instances where verbal abuse may give rise to domestic abuse, but , you would have to determine if you believe in this circumstance. I will give you some information below re applying for the occupation order, in the event you decide to take this route:

Occupation order:

Applying for a home rights, may however be the most likely option for you, based on the information you have given. You can register your ‘home rights’ with HM Land Registry - this can help stop your partner from selling your home. This is very important, as you do not want your ex partner to attempt to do this without your consent. This will also allow you to continue to reside int he property until you both have to a decision about what to do with the property as a consequence of your separation.

Please see below information s to how to go about applying:

You may want to consider mediation. This is an amicable way for you both to discuss how assets should be divided between you both. It is cost effective and less litigious. Please see belwo link which may give you some indication as to local mediators in your area:

I hope I was able to help. Kindly let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Kindly indicate by clicking on the stars at the top of the screen whether you have accepted the answer given.

best wishes


Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thank you can I legally change the locks again if I supply him with a key ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry that's the last question

You are most welcome.

No, you cannot exclude him, similar to how he cannot exclude you. However, if you were to obtain an occupation order, in those circumstance the court may order that he be excluded.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you

You are welcome. Don't forget to indicate by clicking on the stars.

ReadyLaw and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you