How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Turner Your Own Question
Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1353
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ed Turner is online now

Assistant: How can I help? I have a friend who's personal

This answer was rated:

Assistant: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I have a friend who's personal property is being withheld by her ex boyfriend and he's told he's giving it away to a charity shop! Can you please advise me of the law in this matter ie is this tantermount to theft and also would the charity shop fall under the law of handling stolen goods? Also, this person has a criminal record for abuse and has been to prison, therefore would this have a detrimental effect against him?
Assistant: Where is your friend? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Poole, Dorset
Assistant: What steps has your friend taken so far?
Customer: You mean to reclaim her property? As far as I'm aware, non other than asking for her property back.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I don't think so!

Hello. I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and will be able to resolve your legal problem today.

Regarding the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call, I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the offer. However, if you do not want a phone call, please cancel the offer for a Premium Service Phone Call and you will not be charged extra.

I agree that the ex boyfriend is acting illegal in terms of both criminal and civil law.

He may be guilty of the crimes of theft and selling stolen goods.

Your friend may also have a civil claim for the tort of conversion against him with the remedy being return of the goods or damages for their value plus interest and legal costs.

I hope this resolves your enquiry. Please revert to me if you have any further questions and I will be delighted to assist.

Otherwise, I shall be grateful if you will please mark your enquiry as “Closed” and give me a “Positive” rating in order to conclude this matter.

Kind regards


Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for your reply Ed, I shall refer it to my friend and get back to you.

OK, please start a new thread depending on your friend's further instructions and I or another legal expert will be delighted to assist.

However, I have answered your enquiry and therefore shall be grateful for a five star rating in order to close this thread. :)

Ed Turner and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
absolutely I will..... thanks so much