JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I was made bankrupt in 2017, do you know roughly how it will

Hi, i was made bankrupt in 2017, do you know roughly how long it will be until i'm aloud to offer on a house
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Hampshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None, as i'm worried i wont be aloud
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: none

Hello, this is Jim and I am a dual-qualified lawyer (UK and Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you today.

Were you discharged from being bankrupt in 2018 (a year later)?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Jim, i was discharged earlier this year however i'm still paying until February

Thanks for that, the credit registers will show the bankruptcy for up to 6 years (from the date of the court order for bankruptcy). So until then, it will be difficult to get credit. After the 6 years your credit record is wiped clean.

You were referring to an offer for a house (presumably with a mortgage)?.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** was i just wanted to see my chances of getting a mortgage before i even looked
Your best bet would be a mortgage broker as they will do all the hard work and searching for you. There may be lenders who would help and if you have anyone who could buy with you then chances improve further.
Its pretty much an issue for the 6 years though - but after that like I say the credit rating goes back to normal. I hope this helps? Let me know if you have any other questions. In the meantime if you can please give me a positive rating I’d be grateful. Jim
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
All makes sense. Is there anything in which i can do in the meantime to help my credit rating?

Yes, so it would be things like ensuring you are on the electoral roll at the property you live in, don't make any credit applications (or at least not too many of them), pay any bills on time such as phone, utility bills, etc, and that's pretty much it.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, thanks for you help.