Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have given my local leisure centre notice to give up

I have given my local leisure centre notice to give up rented room that I’ve had for the last 22years but I have now changed my mind and won’t to stay, I have the room till the 18th January 2020 can I legally do this ?
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: The leisure centre is based in Sale Cheshire Manchester
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I haven’t taken any steps as yet
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have sold my buisness to a lady who also does sports massage so she can take the room on and all my existing clients and she and myself have had separate meetings with the manager so that she noes my plans, but I have now heard second hand that she is going to give my room to an internal candidate, can the manager do this and is it to late to retract my notice?

Hello my name is Jamie and I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Can you legally do what?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Can I cancel my notice but if not can they give my room to someone else even though I have sold on my buisness to someone that includes the renting of the room I worked from.

Does your contract allow you to sublet?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
My contact doesn’t mention sub letting but there’s another therapist in the building that does sublet and the management don’t seem to be bothered.

They can refuse. If you gave notice and it was accepted that is it.

It is down to the Landlord as to whether or not they will let you retract the notice.

However, if they do not, during your notice period you can sublet, as long as they do not object

But your contract does not permit subletting, so in theory you can't

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.