Lawyer21
Lawyer21, CILEx Lawyer
Experience:  CILEx Lawyer
31642296

Me and my partner are planning to move in to together into a

Customer Question

Me and my partner are planning to move in to together into a home that his has a sole mortgage on. Is it possible for something to be written up in terms of me paying half of the bills each month so I’m covered if we ever split up and he decides to sell?
Expert:  Lawyer21 replied 6 months ago.
Hi How can I help. If you are not buying a property with your partner and instead they are simply moving into a property in your sole name, it may still be possible for your partner to claim a share of the value of the property even though their name is ***** ***** the title deeds. However for him to claim a interest in the property, your partner would need to show that there was a common understanding/interest with you by doing some work/improvements to the property or paying for some work or improvements. As such they acquired a financial interest in the property. This is where the cohabitation agreement should come in to set out who is responsible for paying the bills and add a statement that your partner will not be gaining a financial interest in the property regardless of any work they do or any payments they make.
Expert:  Lawyer21 replied 6 months ago.

Expert:  Lawyer21 replied 6 months ago.

I would be grateful you can please give a positive rating by clicking 5 stars (at the top of your screen), I can answer any follow up questions at no extra charge and I will be credited for helping you today.

Expert:  Lawyer21 replied 6 months ago.

Hi I would be grateful if you could also confirm the answer thank you - so that I can continue to help other customers just like you. thank you