Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I suspect that I'm the father of a 12 year old child despite

I suspect that I'm the father of a 12 year old child despite the mothers denial.She has three other children with her ex partner and he thinks he is the father.I do not want a child but my worry is that some years down the line the alleged father could sue me for child maintainance which I dont have and I could lose my home to pay for this.
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Nothing
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Manchester
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi thank you for your message, you essentially have a choice you can apply to court to get a court order for a DNA test to prove you are the father and if you are pay maintenance or not apply to court and run the risk you can be shown to be the father later. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What happens if I do nothing and am later found to be the father.Can I be sued by the alleged father for all the back pay?

Hi thank you for your message, well you cannot be sued no. Instead the matter could be reported to Child Maintenance Services (CMS) and they can ask you to pay money going forward for the child. You should not pay arrears because you did not know the child was yours up until that point and in any event the mother would have to prove the child is yours before that which would require a court order. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
let's say the alleged father sued the mother,could I be implicated as when she fell pregnant she said I could possibly be the father but since birth has always denied it.Im so worried that years down the line I could be sued for thousands.
I understand your concerns but these kind of paternity actions don’t tend to happen these days.
In any event I don’t see what he could claim if he brought a legal action, he certainly wouldn’t get thousands from you because he isn’t the father.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Found this article on the internet about paternity fraud Claims can be laid upon the mother or the mother’s “other man” who had not accepted his parental responsibilities but instead passed it on to another man. Even if he does know nothing of the child, in the end he may be compelled to make financial amends or assume future responsibility for maintenance.Could this be of relevance to my situation?
Hi thank you for your message, as a general point just be cautious about the truth of articles on the internet they may not be from a reputable source, out of date or even written from the perspective of a different legal system such as the US. In terms of the point you raise no I do not think it is particularly relevant.