Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
106205234

Can lawyers threatening you if you have done nothing wrong?

JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: scotland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i had a situation at work I took to a lawyer to get a settlement made. But the lawyer I’m with is the same family as my business but my phone was hacked and I didn’t know they where listening. They said that lawyer does threats to scare people and say they broke the law I have done nothing wrong I didn’t know they could listen in my phone
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello my name is Ross and I can help with this matter.

Can you explain the situation to me in a bit more detail. I don't quite understand what you mean. Have you been threatened? If so in what way? Thank you.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I raised a formal complaint against someone in work but they didn’t really help the situation and they said I may lose my job over it so I went in one day and they gave me a settlement which I had to take to a lawyer to sign the paper work. But it turns out the lawyer I went with is the same family as my work directors family business. They told me this lawyer threatens people and tries to blackmail. But I didn’t know a guy in work had hacked my phone and it turns out my work was listening to my conversation with the lawyer. As I was going out he said that he would say I broke the law if i went with my work as they said they would back me up.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I can’t talk at the moment
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Can you give detail on text?

Ignore the phone call request it is automatically generated.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Can you give me advice I’m really worried about it
  • What do you mean if you "went with your work"
  • Who is he and what law is "he" saying you broke
  • How do you know your phone was hacked and how do you know this is true?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Are you still there?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
My work told me they could hear my conversations
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Private conversations

Ok so do you still have a settlement offer on the table from your work?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I don’t know they said I’m in danger. With this lawyer.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I will hopefully find out more tomorrow. I just need advise if lawyers can blackmail you?

Ok well, what I would do is simply go to another lawyer. As this lawyer hasn't actually done anything at the moment and this is just hearsay there isn't much to be done. However, if the work have actually been spying on you (they may just be saying this). If the lawyer does black mail you then you will want to raise a very serious complaint with the SRA (you will find their website easily) in addition to this you can sue your work for breach of privacy. So if they have made you an offer then it is still legally open I would simply just walk away from this situation and go to another lawyer.

I hope this information has helped. You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

I would be obliged if you could Click to “accept” the answer and leave me a 5 star rating (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge.

Ross

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Can Lawyers blackmail though?

No, it is illegal, highly illegal. And if this happens then make an immediate report to the SRA. This might just be scaremongering but if it happens then go to the SRA and the lawyer could potentially be stuck off.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
As I was going out the office He threatens me and said to me he will put a stop on me and the law will be after me
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
My mum was there but she didn’t hear him
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
He doesn’t have my address or anything but I’m scared my work gives him it without my persmision
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Can he find it another way?

In what way is he saying you have broken the law?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
It was a threat he told me going out the door

If you work were to give him you address then they are breaking the law. It just sounds like scaremongering. Dismiss the lawyer, appoint another one and report him to the SRA and you will be fine.

I hope this information has helped.

Ross

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
But my work said he did the same thing to one of there workers and he threatens her the same way and she ended up working with him and she said if she leaves he would get her locked up
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
What does exactly the SRA do?

Yeah, its all a lot of rubbish. Just follow the advice I have given you. The SRA will investigate the claim and they could potentially strike him off for this behaviour.

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

Ross

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
If I said to my directors could they do it in my behalf and back me up? They said they don’t get on. If I did that could the lawyer take me to court?

No, nobody can take you to court. Honestly, I understand your worry but you don't have anything to worry about, you have done nothing wrong and you can't just take someone to court because you want to. Just follow my advice. Hire a new Lawyer and make a complaint to the SRA you will be just fine.

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

Ross

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I’m really worried about it. Can he say I broke the law or is that just a threat?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
What do you mean by struck off? Does that mean lose his job?

It means he wouldn't be allowed to practice yes. It is just a threat, he can't just go to court and say "you broke the law" things don't work like this. It sounds as though he is just abusing his power. The SRA could also caution him and not strike him off.

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

Ross

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Is hacking a phone a crime?

Yes. But you would have to be able to prove this.

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

Ross

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Would the lawyer contact me if you make a complaint? My directors said he is a dangerous man.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
How do you make a complaint to the SRA?

No he wouldn't or shouldn't contact you. If he does you can call the police or even have non-harrasemnt order placed against him. Google SRA and you will be taken to their website and you will be able to contact them from there.

Ross

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Can you help me make the complaint letter? I’m unsure what to write

Before I can offer any additional services I require this answer to be rated as we can only deal with one issue at a time I'm afraid. I could offer a service to review your issues and write a letter but this would require a full review first.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok can you?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I will rate it.

I can offer my email address to do a review of your claim.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Please what do I do with your email address?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Can you write up an complaint for me? I don’t know what to say
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
.??
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
How do I review?

If you can rate the answer using the 5 stars at the top of the page (right hand side I believe) then I can offer email service.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
All done
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I left a tip also

Thank you that was very kind of you.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I don’t have any documentation yet to support yet.

If you can submit me a chronology of events explaining in detail everything that has happened then that would be helpful.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
My work gave me a settlement forum to go to a lawyer to get it signed. When I went he asked what happened so I told him. He then said as I went out the door told me I was a silly girl, if I go with him he’s law he’ll help my case at work if I don go with him go back to work he said he’ll saw I done something wrong put a block on my name the law will come for me and I’ll get locked up he said I’ll break the law if I don’t trust him. He said he doesn’t have my address but he’ll hunt me down.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Eventually find me.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
If I don’t go with him he’ll be on my case and get me to work with him.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Then threatend me if I leave he’ll do the same with the threats.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
That’s what he said