Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
106205234

Can lawyers threatening you if you have done nothing wrong?

JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: scotland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i had a situation at work I took to a lawyer to get a settlement made. But the lawyer I’m with is the same family as my business but my phone was hacked and I didn’t know they where listening. They said that lawyer does threats to scare people and say they broke the law I have done nothing wrong I didn’t know they could listen in my phone
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello my name is ***** ***** I can help with this matter.

Can you explain the situation to me in a bit more detail. I don't quite understand what you mean. Have you been threatened? If so in what way? Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I raised a formal complaint against someone in work but they didn’t really help the situation and they said I may lose my job over it so I went in one day and they gave me a settlement which I had to take to a lawyer to sign the paper work. But it turns out the lawyer I went with is the same family as my work directors family business. They told me this lawyer threatens people and tries to blackmail. But I didn’t know a guy in work had hacked my phone and it turns out my work was listening to my conversation with the lawyer. As I was going out he said that he would say I broke the law if i went with my work as they said they would back me up.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can’t talk at the moment
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can you give detail on text?

Ignore the phone call request it is automatically generated.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can you give me advice I’m really worried about it
  • What do you mean if you "went with your work"
  • Who is he and what law is "he" saying you broke
  • How do you know your phone was hacked and how do you know this is true?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you still there?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My work told me they could hear my conversations
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Private conversations

Ok so do you still have a settlement offer on the table from your work?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don’t know they said I’m in danger. With this lawyer.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will hopefully find out more tomorrow. I just need advise if lawyers can blackmail you?

Ok well, what I would do is simply go to another lawyer. As this lawyer hasn't actually done anything at the moment and this is just hearsay there isn't much to be done. However, if the work have actually been spying on you (they may just be saying this). If the lawyer does black mail you then you will want to raise a very serious complaint with the SRA (you will find their website easily) in addition to this you can sue your work for breach of privacy. So if they have made you an offer then it is still legally open I would simply just walk away from this situation and go to another lawyer.

I hope this information has helped. You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

Ross

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can Lawyers blackmail though?

No, it is illegal, highly illegal. And if this happens then make an immediate report to the SRA. This might just be scaremongering but if it happens then go to the SRA and the lawyer could potentially be stuck off.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
As I was going out the office He threatens me and said to me he will put a stop on me and the law will be after me
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My mum was there but she didn’t hear him
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He doesn’t have my address or anything but I’m scared my work gives him it without my persmision
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can he find it another way?

In what way is he saying you have broken the law?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It was a threat he told me going out the door

If you work were to give him you address then they are breaking the law. It just sounds like scaremongering. Dismiss the lawyer, appoint another one and report him to the SRA and you will be fine.

I hope this information has helped.

Ross

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
But my work said he did the same thing to one of there workers and he threatens her the same way and she ended up working with him and she said if she leaves he would get her locked up
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What does exactly the SRA do?

Yeah, its all a lot of rubbish. Just follow the advice I have given you. The SRA will investigate the claim and they could potentially strike him off for this behaviour.

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

Ross

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If I said to my directors could they do it in my behalf and back me up? They said they don’t get on. If I did that could the lawyer take me to court?

No, nobody can take you to court. Honestly, I understand your worry but you don't have anything to worry about, you have done nothing wrong and you can't just take someone to court because you want to. Just follow my advice. Hire a new Lawyer and make a complaint to the SRA you will be just fine.

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

Ross

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I’m really worried about it. Can he say I broke the law or is that just a threat?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What do you mean by struck off? Does that mean lose his job?

It means he wouldn't be allowed to practice yes. It is just a threat, he can't just go to court and say "you broke the law" things don't work like this. It sounds as though he is just abusing his power. The SRA could also caution him and not strike him off.

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

Ross

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is hacking a phone a crime?

Yes. But you would have to be able to prove this.

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

Ross

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Would the lawyer contact me if you make a complaint? My directors said he is a dangerous man.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How do you make a complaint to the SRA?

No he wouldn't or shouldn't contact you. If he does you can call the police or even have non-harrasemnt order placed against him. Google SRA and you will be taken to their website and you will be able to contact them from there.

I would be obliged if you could Click to “accept” the answer and leave me a 5 star rating (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge.

Ross

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can you help me make the complaint letter? I’m unsure what to write

Before I can offer any additional services I require this answer to be rated as we can only deal with one issue at a time I'm afraid. I could offer a service to review your issues and write a letter but this would require a full review first.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok can you?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will rate it.

I can offer my email address to do a review of your claim.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Please what do I do with your email address?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can you write up an complaint for me? I don’t know what to say
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How do I review?

If you can rate the answer using the 5 stars at the top of the page (right hand side I believe) then I can offer email service.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
All done
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I left a tip also

Thank you that was very kind of you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don’t have any documentation yet to support yet.

If you can submit me a chronology of events explaining in detail everything that has happened then that would be helpful.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My work gave me a settlement forum to go to a lawyer to get it signed. When I went he asked what happened so I told him. He then said as I went out the door told me I was a silly girl, if I go with him he’s law he’ll help my case at work if I don go with him go back to work he said he’ll saw I done something wrong put a block on my name the law will come for me and I’ll get locked up he said I’ll break the law if I don’t trust him. He said he doesn’t have my address but he’ll hunt me down.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Eventually find me.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If I don’t go with him he’ll be on my case and get me to work with him.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Then threatend me if I leave he’ll do the same with the threats.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That’s what he said