Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I have been a victim of false pretense and police

hello
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: hello, I have been a victim of false pretense and police harassment, can I get some advice?
JA: Have harassment charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?
Customer: no
JA: Where did the harassment occur?
Customer: police harassment towards myself
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

What is your query please?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Dear Sir/Madam,

There is an ongoing allegation toward myself of ABH that occurred in October 2019.

I received a call via phone number 01622690690, PC Ben Stevenson asked me to come to the station and be spoken too on an immediate basis, I challenged the need for me to attend the station and he informed me I was going to be arrested, but did not tell me what for over the phone, he instructed me to hand myself in or later face having a warrant out for my arrest.

Having said that, I then agreed in attending the station to speak with Ben, upon arriving I question my arrest and why I was being questioned today, Ben then informed me I am not being arrested, I am being questioned on yet another voluntary basis to investigate perverting the course of justice.

He told me I am free to leave at anytime, and then instructed me to go out of the station and get coffee and return in 45minites where I would later be questioned and interviewed on a voluntary basis.

I am exercising my rights to refuse any further voluntary interviews in relation to the ongoing case of assault, this is because I have done all I can to assist in PC Ben Stevenson's investigations, I gave my account along with whiteness information where my friend Kim Goodhew who was with me at the time and date of alleged.

Kim informed me that PC Stevenson disbelieved her account and suggested that I had manipulated Kim into giving the police a false whiteness statement, he then let Kim leave the station only then to call her back and try to get social services involved? Kim was insulted by this situation and informed Ben not to proceed with any form of help service as Kim is a fully capable person, PC Stevenson thought Kim is vulnerable, Kim is not.

Kim only has learning difficulties, which means she cannot write or read effectively, Kim has no neurological complications and has been an independent adult for 61 years. Kim has always been a working person and lived alone in private rental apartments throughout her life.

After Kim justified her independence Ben decided to cancel the social services referral PC Stevenson thanked Kim for her time and told her she was free to leave, and that would be all that is needed from her.

Moreover,

It is apparent I have been a victim of false pretense by PC Ben Stevenson, this is because he informed me over the phone today that I am being arrested and I was also threatened that if I refuse to attend today that he would then be left no choice but to issue me with an arrest warrant because he was going away for a period of ten days.

Having said that, when I handed myself into the Canterbury station this afternoon, PC Stevenson then informed me I am not under arrest and that I am there on a voluntary basis and can leave the station at any time.

It is worth mentioning that PC Stevenson made a firm suggestion that Kim must refrain from making contact with myself during the first ten minutes of leaving the station after giving her witness statement, Kim asked why that was? PC Stevenson said that he wanted to contact me before Kim does, although he had no legal obligations to contact me before Kim.

Thank you again,

Candice
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
The officer rung me over ten times

Hi Candice, I can understand your frustration. You are of course not obligated to attend interview. Regarding PC Stevenson you can report the matter to a senior police officer or you can report the matter to the police commissioner. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you, am I correct in saying that I can now exercise my rights to not help assist PC Stevenson any further in his enquires?

Will he still go ahead with an arrest warrant?

Did Stevenson have the legal right to intimidate and threaten me to attend the station for a voluntary interview?

He then told me I was not allowed to have my own solicitor and to only have the duty solicitor.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
?

Yes you can exercise the right to not cooperate. He could try to get an arrest warrant but as you are not obligated to answer questions it is not clear how he would proceed on that basis. He would likely need a court to authorise that step. He should not have intimidated you in the manner described no. He was also incorrect regarding you not having the right to have your own solicitor.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.

How long is the process of issuing an arrest warrant?

Can an arrest warrant be issued on the grounds of no sufficient factual information?
Well if the police wanted to do it they would have to go to court which they could probably try to get the same day but they can’t get one because someone is refusing to answer questions it is your right not too. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hello, my friend gave a witness statement at the police station but the police officer did not get them to sign the statement and disbelieved / interrupted them when they were giving a statement and suggested they were lying. What does this mean?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Also, this statement that was given would be to help the defense and not the victim.

Hi thank you for your message, well again the police should not have done that but ultimately if the police wanted to try to take this further this could be raised at that point given it undermines their case.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hello, could you please explain that in more detail? (if the police wanted to try to take this further this could be raised at that point given it undermines their case)

If the police want to take this further for example if they arrest you and then release you on bail pending further inquires and they want more time to gather evidence they might need permission from a magistrate to extend the bail conditions at which point your counsel or you could make the point that they should not be given more time to investigate given their is evidence in your favour which they have chosen to ignore.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you, furthermore, can the officer use a statement that has not been signed for by the witness?

No, and that is probably why they didn't want her to sign given it is in your favour.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you very much, I have instructed my solicitor that I am refusing to assist this officer in his line of further enquires via voluntary interview, what is likely my solicitor may do or say regarding this?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Would they instruct the officer that I am no longer willing to help him?

It is likely they will inform the investigating officer that you are no longer willing to cooperate with the investigation and therefore they will need to establish any case without your help.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you once again for your fast response and information, this helps allot!

Glad I could help, take care.