Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I had an assault charge in september 2015, and my charges

Customer Question

i had an assault charge in september 2015, and my charges were 100hrs community service and £250. my question is, for how long will this charge stay on the criminal record?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

What level criminal record check is it?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
as I needed to travel to the USA, I am required to disclose my criminal record.

Thank you. The rules on criminal records in the UK are not accepted or recognised in the US so it makes no difference on how long it may take them to be removed from your UK record. As far as the US is concerned, if you have a conviction, or ever been arrested, you should declare it. Have a look at this advice directly from their website:

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/visa-waiver-program/additional-requirements/

We do not recommend that travelers who have been arrested, even if the arrest did not result in a criminal conviction, have a criminal record, …. attempt to travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program. The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act does not apply to US visa law and spent convictions,regardless of when they occurred will have a bearing on a traveler’s eligibility for admission into the United States.

Does this answer your query?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? I have not heard back from you since posting my answer and just need to know if your query has been resolved. If you could please post a quick reply to confirm I would be very grateful. Thank you