Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
107013918

I have been unsuccessful with getting a refund after the

Hi I have been unsuccessful with getting a refund after the collapse of ***** *****. I booked a flight only package with my debit card via a 3rd party Opodo. This was not ATOL protected. My bank Clydesdale Bank actioned chargeback requests for all debit card payments directly from customers to ***** ***** Airlines. All banks seem to have done the same due to the extrodanery circumstances involved. I was told to go to Opodo and chase it up with them. They are point blank refusing to have anything to do with a refund. In my mind that should mean Clydesdale Bank should chase up a chargeback for me against Opodo due to them not providing goods that were paid faithfully for. They are refusing to do this. Where do I stand here? It seems that with this ***** ***** debacle more or less everybody who has been out of pocket has been reimbursed no matter what the circumstances of the booking. But I am badly struggling to get my money back.
Assistant: Where is this? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?
Customer: Flights were for April 2020. The purchase was made in July 2019
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Been back and forth to Clydesdale Bank, Opodo and The CAA for 4 months now. Have a long email trail. But have no headway.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I have covered everything

Hello. I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and will be able to resolve your legal problem today.

Regarding the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call, I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the offer. However, if you do not want a phone call, please cancel the offer for a Premium Service Phone Call and you will not be charged extra.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I have signed up for the week long trial. Have I now got premium status?

You should direct all financial and pricing queries to our moderators. i do not have that information.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Can I just discuss with you on messages please?

Unfortunately, the recent collapse of Thomas Cook has had disastrous consequences for their former customers, and you are certainly not alone in attempting to obtain a refund on your monies.

If your debit/credit card lending agreement was with Clydesdale, then they are responsible for refunding you on any chargeback arrangement.

I have never heard of Opodo, but I assume from a quick Google search that they were your travel agent.

You need to check the holiday contract, but I imagine that Opodo charged you for their services as the introduction agent for Thomas Cook, or took a percentage of the price from Thomas Cook. However, the main holiday contract was with Thomas Cook and therefore they are the defendant to this claim.

If all else fails, you will have to approach the liquidators of Thomas Cook with details of your claim against the company. However, you will be an unsecured creditor and therefore second to last in the payout queue when the remaining cash and assets of the company are distributed to other creditors and therefore you will be lucky to receive a few pence in the pound, if anything.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you, but I must be as honest as possible with you in order to act in your best interests.

I hope this resolves your enquiry. Please revert to me if you have any further questions and I will be delighted to assist.

Otherwise, I shall be grateful if you will please mark your enquiry as “Closed” and give me a “Positive” rating in order to conclude this matter.

LawyerEd