Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
107013918

I signed up to be Guarantor for an Amigo Loan on behalf of a

I signed up to be Guarantor for an Amigo Loan on behalf of a client's wife in April 2017 for £10,000. I am an Accountant. I ended up paying the Amigo Loan from day one of £395 per month. The client went to prison and released in September 2018. In May 2019 my client asked if he could increase the Amigo Loan by £5,000 to help set him up in business again and he would continue making the monthly payments of almost £600 himself. Unfortunately, he stopped making the payments in October and Amigo Loans have been harassing me on a constant basis with threat of legal action. I have made two payments of since November 2019 and today if I do not pay then Amigo Loans will issue a default summons against both the client's wife and I. I understand as Guarantor you have no choice but to pay, but is there anything that I can do to prevent a County Court Judgement? As a professional I cannot afford to have such against me.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in Fareham, Hampshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Amigo Loans are contacting me today, as repayment overdue by 14 days, and they are going to ask I pay
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have explained my situation and just need your advice

Hello. I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and will be able to resolve your legal problem today.

Regarding the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call, I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the offer. However, if you do not want a phone call, please cancel the offer for a Premium Service Phone Call and you will not be charged extra.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Please send response by email. Thank you.

Unfortunately, the only way of resolving this matter and preventing the lender from issuing court proceedings for the full amount of the loan and having a county court judgment registered against you is to repay the loan in full, or agree a repayment plan with the lender. You are tied into the loan for its full repayment term and unless you are able to void or rescind the contract on the grounds of misrepresentation or fraud, there is no way you can get out of it.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you, but I must be as honest as possible with you in order to act in your best interests.

I hope this resolves your enquiry. Please revert to me if you have any further questions and I will be delighted to assist.

Otherwise, I shall be grateful if you will please mark your enquiry as “Closed” and give me a “Positive” rating in order to conclude this matter.

LawyerEd

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for your advice. The whole matter frightens me especially if Amigo Loans do go down the route of Legal Action. This will destroy my reputation and integrity.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Closed

Thanks. Please give me a five star rating in order to close this thread. :)