How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 23026
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

I have recently found out that my ex husband gave me a share

Customer Question

I have recently found out that my ex husband gave me a share in a private company, which is now dissolved. I never received any dividend or wind up capital or any information about it. The company paid my ex husband instead of me. The records are on Companies House. What is the best way to go about recovering my money?
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 7 days ago.

I have been asked to look at this for you.

Just because you may have had shares in the company doesn’t necessarily mean that you are entitled to any money from it by way of dividends or income.


Shareholders would not normally get income in any event and it may be that the company never declared a dividend in which case you wouldn’t be entitled to anything.


You need to start by getting the company’s accounts and seeing what dividends, if any, were declared.


Some accounts are available from companies house and that would be a good starting point. Otherwise it’s a court order against the directors who disclose the accounts to you.


You may spend a lot of money getting the information only to find that is no money due to you.


If I have answered your question for you, at the top of the page, you should see a rating facility. Can you please rate my reply 3 stars or more because that really helps me? Please note you are not rating whether it’s favourable, because sometimes you may not get the answer you want, but basically my knowledge and way of dealing.

The thread does not close and I am happy to answer any questions you may have arising from this.

Kind regards






Customer: replied 7 days ago.
They paid dividends and a lump sum capital repayment. How do I get about getting that money due to me?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Trust me I’ve looked at all of the accounts, plus I know other shareholders were paid, I have lots of evidence - even from the director himself . So what is the process given it’s a dissolved company?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 6 days ago.

You can reinstate the company but that is not for the fainthearted, it’s not quick and it’s not cheap. Very few firms of solicitors will do it for you and there are solicitors who specialise in doing just that.

However when you reinstate the company it is presumably going to have no money so that could be a waste of time.

Your claim is therefore going to be against the directors personally for misfeasance and not paying you what you are entitled to.

This is really not a do-it-yourself job by any stretch of even a very vivid imagination.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok so how do I go about claiming against the directors personally? What type of claim would I do?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
A part 7 for misfeasance?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 6 days ago.

If you Google “difference between part 7 and part 8 claim” you will be no wiser as to whether you should use part 7 of part 8! The courts don’t know and neither do solicitors. The only guidance is that part 7 is used if there are substantial disputes of fact. What defines substantial disputes of fact, I have no idea because anything goes to court is full of disputes.

I would be inclined to go for part seven because of the complicated legal issues.


Claim form is N1 as you will need a supporting witness statement in this format:


I don’t how much money you are looking at here but if it substantial, I would get a barrister to settle the proceedings for me because the majority of solicitors will do the same.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok and exactly what am I claiming for? What have they breached? Do I claim against them directly (they are no longer directors since the company is dissolved)
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Do I not have to reinstate the company and make them directors again so I can sue them for breach of duty?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 6 days ago.

The companies were in control of the money. They gave your money away to someone else even if that someone else was a creditor. It was your money and you didn’t get it and it’s their fault.


The court may decide that they want you to reinstate the company and to reinstate the directors but that’s their decision as to how they handle it.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The companies were in control of the money? Did you mean directors?

What exactly am I claiming they breached? What is the law they have broken exactly?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 6 days ago.

The company does not have a brain. The company can’t do anything. The directors must have done it.

It’s breach of contract. Breach of five usually duty. Breach of the provisions of the Companies Act for failing to pay the dividend. It’s a debt claim.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
So you meant the directors were in control of the money not the companies? What is “breach of five usually duty”?

As stated before the company is dissolved so do I need to reinstate the company first?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 5 days ago.

I apologise for my typo. Voice recognition software.

Fiduciary Duty.

Basically financial duty.

I can only give you my opinion.

Do remember that I can only give you my opinion.


Another lawyer may have a different opinion. Litigation needs at least 2 parties and neither goes to court expecting to lose.


Nonetheless, one of them does, even though they have been told by their respective legal advisers that they have a good chance of success.


If there was a black-and-white answer to every legal problem there would be no need for anything to ever proceed to court.


In my opinion you need to go after the directors and that doesn’t need the company reinstating but another lawyer may want to deal with it in a different way or the judge may want it dealt with in a different way.

I don’t how much money we are potentially talking about or how far it is therefore worth investing some money in barristers settling the proceedings.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Ok so “go after the directors” - how? What exactly do I do?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 days ago.

You sue the directors personally for misfeasance in office and for your financial loss. This is about as much do yourself job as open-heart surgery. I don’t how much money is potentially involved.

If you could help me now please, in the way that I have helped you, I would be obliged if you could please use the rating service because that gives payment for my time and expertise here today.

If anything else crops up, we can still exchange notes. The thread doesn't close.

Kind regards.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I can sue them even though they are no longer directors and the company is dissolved?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 days ago.

If someone commits misfeasance in office, they don’t escape liability by simply resigning