Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
107013918

I have received a demand from a debt collection agency for

I have received a demand from a debt collection agency for £170. It has now been followed up with a solicitor's letter threatening court action.
JA: Where is this? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: It arises out of a parking charge I received. I parked in Rangemoor Road, London N15. Rangemoor Road is a public road. There are no yellow lines where I parked. There was no sign suggesting nearby suggesting I had done anything untoward. I have photographic evidence. However, I am told that at the point I parked Rangemoor Road becomes private. There is a small sign to this effect -- not where I parked but considerably further down the road. When I returned to my car there was a parking charge. I went online and read that I shouldn't appeal the charge because doing so would mean I would have to give my address to the Parking Enforcement Agency. So I didn't. The next I heard was the letter from the debt collection agency. They claim that the Parking Enforcement Agency sent me a letter 18 November. If they did, I never received it. I contacted the DVLA and they told me that they do give out private details of the owner of a car "for legitimate reasons". They said that, if I want to take this up with them, I had to write a snail mail letter -- they don't accept email -- and they would reply within two months. The letters from the debt collection agency and their solicitor are threatening imminent legal action.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I contacted the Citizens Advice Bureau but, to be honest, they were not of much help. All they advised was that I get on the phone to the debt collection agency and the DVLA. I did that. Hence the information above. Do I have to pay this exorbitant charge? I'm on a state pension -- so it's not easy.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My name is***** am 68 years old, retired. I have been driving for over 50 years. I would be interested in appealing the charge but it seems to have gone beyond that now. I offered the debt collection agency to pay £60 -- which was the original charge if paid within 14 days -- but they said that offer was no longer on the table.

Hello. I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and will be able to resolve your legal problem today.

Regarding the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call, I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the offer. However, if you do not want a phone call, please cancel the offer for a Premium Service Phone Call and you will not be charged extra.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How much will this cost me?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm very disappointed. I'm trying to save money, not spend £44! Please cancel my membership and return my £5.

You should write back to the debt recovery agency and/or solicitors denying the debt in full stating your reasons for so doing. The other party will then have to issue county court proceedings if they want to recover the penalty.

The value of the claim makes is a Small Claims Court matter in the civil county courts where it is unlikely that the parties will be awarded solicitors costs even if they are successful at trial. Therefore, it is not economic for you to instruct solicitors as the costs of defending the matter will swiftly outweigh the amount in dispute.

These parking cowboys' entire business model is based on the notion that most people will pay up rather than defend the action.

If you reject the site's offer of a phone call, you will not be charged.

I hope this resolves your enquiry. Please revert to me if you have any further questions and I will be delighted to assist.

Otherwise, I shall be grateful if you will please mark your enquiry as “Closed” and give me a “Positive” rating in order to conclude this matter.

LawyerEd

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK. Thanks for your reply. I misunderstood that the call was necessary. I'm sorry for that. Should I write to both the solicitor and debt collection agency? What about the Parking Enforcement Agency -- ie the original outfit that gave me the parking charge? Do I present my letter in the form of an appeal ie with photographic evidence? If they took it to court and were successful, would this impact my credit rating? Does your advice that I deny "the debt in full" mean that I should or should not repeat the offer made to the debt collection agency of paying £60 as a compromise deal. I could really do without this dragging on and on. I appreciate what you say about how these cowboys operate but, as you can imagine, it's a worry.

Send the letter of denial to call

The lower offer of settlement should be "without prejudice to liability", so do not include it in court proceedings documents that the court will see.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry. What does "Send the letter of denial to call" mean?

Sorry for the typo!

Send the letter of denial to all parties.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks. And do I present it as an appeal against the original charge, with photographic evidence etc?

Yes, send them all the evidence upon which you rely.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Many thanks. I am now closing this.